connect a new supply pipe to this old one

I dug out the pit so I must be Quatermass (Dr? Prof?) but he will be the Trench Warfare man

Sponsored Links
Those old fittings often have 3/4 bsp threads, with the nut as you say, captive on a thing like a modern "tap connector".

20784057.jpg

The ring part I've done blue though, has changed over the years. If you file it off a new fitting (or off the old one, depending..) you can use a normal 3/4" washer (green) and seal onto a standard fitting.

The old ones I see are of similar arrangement but there is a Taper male which mates and seals with a taper female.

I have not attempted to use tap connectors asn they can probably be made to seal but probably not with teh reliability of the original part.

The brass male part is about 2.5 mm thick and needs to be hacksawed.

However, my way of dealing with it would be to remove the male part and heat it to melt the lead/solder and then while hot I would wire brush the loose solder off.

Whilst I think that most are probably 1/2" there can alse be other smaller or larger sizes.

Tony

we took off the downstream spigot and melted the lead off it. It looks like bronze and is bigger OD than 15mm so it didn't fit such a connector. We ended up using an 18mm compression fitting with some PTFE tape on the olive as it was an easy fit.

Might have been worth soldering the spigot into 22mm copper (like compheat said) but we didn't try that (what is the ID of 22mm?). It was an easy sliding fit so might not have had good capillarity for the solder, but we could have done it on the bench and assembled when cool.

Sponsored Links
What was the 18mm compression fitting sold for?

Where do you get them?

Tony

The man at ?Plumbworld? (part of the Wolsley group) in London N1 had a rummage through his bits and pieces to find something to fit our spigot which I took in. Apparently it is an American size, Maybe it is a sort of 3/4" inch. He had not got any spare olives in that size, I think it was in a box of samples. I might be able to find the stock number on the invoice if it will be useful to you.

edited: I got the company name and the postcode wrong. See below.

Keep a stock of 16 and 18mm couplers for use of when cowpat hits the fan

I have found the invoice. Plumb Centre Millmarsh Lane EN3 7QG

catalogue no 523242 Conex DZR S301 18mm x 15mm str coupling £11.95

they are a very expensive supplier :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back