Connecting a LED security light.

Well it was purchased as an impulse buy in Lidl. Would I just be better off replacing it with a better known make? I can see no sign of water inside the box but it is in a very exposed position.

Sponsored Links
TBH never fitted a plastic LED external light, always been metal.
Fair enough, but there certainly are a good few plastic ones out there. In my experience, some do have a terminal for parking a CPC, but some don't (the OP's one being one example!).
My comments are nothing to do with class I versus class II or the legality of fittings.
You may not have intended them to relate to that, but I get rather confused about this Class I/II business. If they have no metal to earth, they clearly can't be Class I - which seems to imply that they can only be legal if they are Class II (I'm not aware of any acceptable 'third option'). Is that how it is?

Kind Regards, John

Well it was purchased as an impulse buy in Lidl. Would I just be better off replacing it with a better known make? I can see no sign of water inside the box but it is in a very exposed position.
Oh Lidl, the well known reliable electrical wholesaler, take it back for refund and buy some smoked haddock with the refund!!!!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it is Class II.
I can't be sure about the OP's one from the photos but, as I've just written, if it is all-plastic, it can't possibly be Class I - which seems to mean that it's either Class II or 'illegal' (unless you know of a third 'legal' possibility). Do you agree?

Kind Regards, John

Well, other than things like plastic light switches, I don't think there is another designation.

It has cable restraints, is all plastic and has a plastic container for the connections, much like some Class II fittings.
Does that not qualify it as Class II?

Well, other than things like plastic light switches, I don't think there is another designation.
Exactly. So, as I said, it seems that any item of electrical equipment has to be Class I, Class II or 'illegal'.
It has cable restraints, is all plastic and has a plastic container for the connections, much like some Class II fittings. Does that not qualify it as Class II?
Only, I think if the plastic is 'double' or 'reinforced' (whatever the latter means). If it's not one of those two things (and isn't Class I), then that would seem to leave only the third possibility ... 'illegal'. Is that correct?

Kind Regards, John

@johnFbrown to return to your problem.
Suggest you remove the cable from the light (power off!)
Put the ends in a terminal block for safety. Turn power back on. If nothing blows or trips then return that cr@p to where you bought it and get something that will work fir longer than half an hour.

I don't know.

The definitions (for D.I. and Class II) only state "basic" and "supplementary" insulation.

The definition of Class II equipment refers to "no provision for connection of exposed metalwork to a CPC"
Perhaps if things are all plastic it does not apply as there is nothing to cause a shock.

After all, it obviously is not Class I so perhaps it's not Class II either - it's all insulation.

I do think the debate is a bit pointless until we find out if it is stated to be Class II.

After all, it obviously is not Class I so perhaps it's not Class II either - it's all insulation.
That's really my question - I'm trying very hard to learn, since I've never really understood this! ...

.... it is allowable ('legal') to have an item of equipment which qualifies as neither Class I nor Class II - e.g. an all-plastic item which has just one layer of non-'reinforced' insulation between live parts and the outside world ???

Kind Regards, John

The definitions do not mention reinforced insulation; just basic and supplementary.
You are presumably looking at the definition of Class II in Part 2 of the regs. I am looking at (the entirety of) section 412 ("Protective Measure: Double or Reinforced Insulation").

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back