Connecting an electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i have just bought an electric oven with grill and ceramic hob.Maximum wattage is 9.7kW.I have a socket and switch for the cooker already.Can i just connect a cable and plug to the cooker and plug it in or do i have to connect to the control unit which is also already there.

Sponsored Links
The cooker has a current rating far too high to just be plugged in. It will reqiured 'hard wiring' in to the cooker circuit. There should be an outlet plate somewhere below the cooker control panel, which the cooker can be connected to.

Rob

Your new cooker will draw @40.5 amps, so you should check the mcb's rating that is protecting that circuit, also checking the size of the cable will ensure its current carrying capacities are ok.

A 30-32amp fuse/breaker should be fine. Diversity indicates 10 amps + 30% remainder =20 amps total expected load.

Sponsored Links
Thanx for all your help.I have now connected my cooker straight to the outlet plate and it is working perfectly.Rachel :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back