Stand alone electric cooker to seperate oven and hob issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... Can you help, I've searched the forums but can't quite get the answers I need....

We are replacing our stand alone electric cooker with a seperate Electric Oven and electic ceramic hob.

The Electric oven has 13amp connection, so I'm gonna plug that into an existing socket, which is below the work surface. Do I need to add a DP switch or a FCU to this above the work surface? If so, how do I add one to a switched socket that is already in place.

The Ceramic hob (5.3kw).
I want to connect this to the existing 30amp cooker connection unit. However for some reason there is not a DP cooker control switch in place. Do I need to fit one? and if so, how do I connect a control switch to a CCU that is already in place? (as I assume the mains would have to go to the Control switch first...?)

Inside the Ceramic hob, the connection block consists of 5 terminals (2 live, 2 neutral, 1?) and a seperate earth terminal. How do I connect to my 3 core 6mm2 cable?

Any help much appreaciated

Sponsored Links
You say you have a CCU. This will have a DP switch for the appliance built in.

securespark said:
You say you have a CCU. This will have a DP switch for the appliance built in.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Not sure what you mean. There is no switch. It is just a connection unit with the mains cable feeding it.

Any thoughts on the other part of question

thanks

Sorry, I might be using the wrong description. The cooker is currently connected to what I've now found is just called a [/b]CONNECTION PLATE... not a connection unit.

any help?

Sponsored Links
You need to have an easily accessible means of isolating the hob from the electric supply & a cooker switch before the connection plate would be the normal way of doing that. Given your description of the set up I would be suspicious of the safety of the whole circuit. My advice would be to call in a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back