Connecting and linking smoke/heat alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I intend to install a selection of ionisation and optical smoke alarms and a heat alarm . They will be Kidde mains interlinked alarms on a dedicated circuit from a consumer box.

The alarms all come with three short (about 10 inch) soldered electrical tails which are to be interlinked with flat three core 1mm cable. All alarms will be ceiling mounted and the wiring can be accessed from the floor of the rooms above with one exception which will be beneath a flat roof cavity but can still be accessed through the ceiling.

I have two questions please:

First one relates to the interlinking between the alarms. Can I connect the 3 tails to the flat cable using "choc" connectors or are there alternatives?

Secondly, I understand that the link from the consumer box to the first alarm in the chain should also be 3 core but in this case ordinary lighting cable (ie. 2 core plus earth). As there is no actual earth connection on any of the alarms I am puzzled by the purpose of the earth lead. Do you have any comments on this please.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back