connecting electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I am in the process of replacing my electric cooker, I am confused with the colour coding. I have bought the 30amp flex to connect the cooker to the wall socket and one is BROWN and one is BLUE. At the wall end there is BLACK and RED at the cooker end is BLUE & BROWN and BLACK & GREY. Could somebody please advice the right connection?
Thank You
Vito

Sponsored Links
I would say Brown & Red are live and Blue, black are neutral.

As for the black / grey............. dunno.

Wait for a spaky to answer as i'm a welder and tend to use sawn off bolts as fuses so maybe not the best to take advice from :LOL:

What sort of cooker have you bought - it sounds like you've got a 3 phase one (which would have a neutral (blue), and three lives (brown, black and grey) if it's using new colours). If this is the case, unless it's a cooker that can work as either a single phase or 3-phase (I've never heard of one of those before) you won't be able to wire it in to a typical single phase domestic supply...

Do you have a make and model of the cooker?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ieeco
but what is confusing me is that at the back of the cooker marked Neutral there is both connected BLUE & BROWN
Thanks

That sounds very odd, brown has always been live, so to have a brown wire connected in to a neutral terminal is certainly questionable.

Can you upload a picture of the back of the cooker - it might help people figure out what's going on...

User manual implies it should just be a matter of wiring up L, N and earth as labelled (which for the cable you have bought would be L=brown, N=blue and earth=green/yellow (sleeved)). Connect the brown wire in the cable to the red at the wall, and the blue wire to the black (assuming it's just a cable outlet, and not a fused connection, at which point obviously you'd want to wire in to the load side as opposed to the supply side).

If there are other strange coloured wires coming out of the block in the cooker itself, then it just sounds like the cooker manufacturer has done something a bit odd internally, but is probably fine (if in any doubt though, obviously get a qualified electrician in - I'm not there so am only advising based on what you've described, so could be mistaken etc)...

Carefull everyone- I connected a hob the other day which had a 5 core flex.

Neutral- Brown and blue crimped together

Live- Black and grey crimped together

OP: This may be different from your appliance!! In the absence of installation instructions, I'd look at the manufacturers website for some or if not, a technical helpline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back