connecting electrical appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good website to visit to find out exactly what we can and can't do as regards to connecting electrical appliances to existing circuits. I have read various websites about the part P regs but am confused about the "kitchens and bathrooms" statement. I am wanting to change my existing double oven for a new one. I feel confident to do it myself but am not sure whether I am aloud to anymore or whether I have to be supplied with a certificate!! Also the same goes for my electric shower. I want to change it for a new one of the same rating, but am not sure whether I am aloud to without it being certified. The house is fairly new and therefore has all the latest consumer units with 30ma trips etc.
Any advice would be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Installing any current using equipment in a kitchen or bathroom is not notifiable so long as the circuit that feeds it is existing and is suitable for the load.

Davy

Thanks Davy!! Much appreciated. Why can't life always be that simple. Ask a simple question get a simple answer!
Thanks again
Andy Stu

If you want a slightly less simple answer then have a read of this:
I know your question has been answered, but it is a good read for your own reference.
It is a simple to understand and very informative break down of how to comply with part p of the building regs.

//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

But the simple answer is yes you can carry out like for like replacements yourself without notification.

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
Installing any current using equipment in a kitchen or bathroom is not notifiable so long as the circuit that feeds it is existing and is suitable for the load.

Davy

People keep citing this "fact" on the forum - it's not as black and white as that.
Notification only applies to England and Wales. There are 2 other countries that form the UK!

(PS I note the location of the original poster)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back