Conscription to the Armed Services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In relation to the horrific terrorist attacks in London and the present
'Yob' culture effecting decent people whose only wish is a quiet and
normal life it may be time to consider bring back conscription to the armed services for those reaching 18 years of age.
A period of 18 months being served in the topics like training in defence of our country, respect for humanity and self discipline.
Countries like Greece and Cyprus still have National Service.
On completion of this service an oath should be made swearing allegiance
to the Crown and the United Kingdom . This would be known as the ,'Patriotism Oath'.
It is just a suggestion for topic which is highly unlikely to happen.

Sponsored Links
I have a better Idea, allow the MOD to run prisons.

Anyone who gets into trouble from the age of ten goes to a Training Centre, there they are still educated as they would in the outside world, but they are disciplined to Military Standards, where they learn respect for each other, authority and society as a whole.

The Gobby shiites we see in the streets would then be removed and peace would return.

This would negate the need for conscription as the problems would be largely resolved by the time they reach 18.

Many maywell decide to stay in the Military, and this can only be a good thing, but those that don't will have learnt how to behave. Afterall, in the centres discipline should be strict. Youngsters should have the option to remain in centres should they choose to at the end of the period imposed by the courts.

Many of the problems these kids have is that their parents are crap, indifferent and have no respect for anyone or society, and until these kids learn that they are valued and they have value, not a lot will ever change.

rederech said:
normal life it may be time to consider bring back conscription to the armed services for those reaching 18 years of age.
A period of 18 months being served in the topics like training in defence of our country, respect for humanity and self discipline.
to the Crown and the United Kingdom . This would be known as the ,'Patriotism Oath'.

some one must have forgot to tell this bloke
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1234&id=55982005

FWL_Engineer said:
Anyone who gets into trouble from the age of ten goes to a Training Centre, there they are still educated as they would in the outside world, but they are disciplined to Military Standards, where they learn respect for each other, authority and society as a whole.
Good point, the problem is I think some of the parent are yobs as their children are rubbing of them so they don't know any difference! I would like to see adults as well goes to training disciplined centre as well.

Sponsored Links
Richardp

Our armed forces are respected around the world for their tolerance,
bravery, imparciality and expertese.
Look at their peacekeeping roles in Kosovo, Cyprus, Afghanistan and
Iraq. It is a highly dangerous and difficult job requiring many skills the greatest being having respect for humanity.
The S.A.S. is recognised as the elite of special services.

rederech said:

What would happen to them if they refused to do this?

petewood

At the end of conscription period and it is found that any person refuses to take the oath then an independent board would look at the reasons given .
An anti social order may then be put on the person restricting his behaviour or actions.
Breach of this order would be up to the courts.

rederech said:
Richardp

Iraq. It is a highly dangerous and difficult job requiring many skills the greatest being having respect for humanity.

The reason for being respected is that those who are there want to be there, volunteers. Start bringing in the dross who don't want to do it is a drain on time , manpower and resources for those who want to do the job. I take it Redrech and FWL Engineer have never served?? ;)

rederech said:
petewood

At the end of conscription period and it is found that any person refuses to take the oath then an independent board would look at the reasons given .
An anti social order may then be put on the person restricting his behaviour or actions.
Breach of this order would be up to the courts.

I would not pledge my allegiance to a country that demanded it.

rederech said:

Prat, you already swear on oath on signing up......If you don't know about it dont think you know ;)

i have to say, knowing it from the inside, like jasy i agree that diluting our professional army down would be a very bad thing.
however some form of discipline like that given during basic training would be of some help. Perhaps we could have national service divided into two battalions.
the womens royal balloon corps for the ones who behave and the crack royal stomp around a minefield in a pair of lead boots corps for all the dross of life. Now that may work :LOL:

or they could be used as figure 11's mate so we dont affect the rain forests ! :LOL:

rederech said:
Richardp

thanks buddy I served my time, our forces are great for our youngsters to learn a trade, I've done my bit and the first thing I learnt was that there is always someone that is harder than you,Its violent, and to come out with all this crap about curing the criminally insane is ridiculous, 'Yob' culture is as prevalent in the armed forces as anywhere if anything its encouraged and channeled to the benefit of joe bloggs but I know loads of people that get back to civy street and slip into their bad old ways equally plenty that are good decent people that are a credit.

jasy said:
The reason for being respected is that those who are there want to be there, volunteers. Start bringing in the dross who don't want to do it is a drain on time , manpower and resources for those who want to do the job. I take it Redrech and FWL Engineer have never served?? ;)

Jasy, read my piece again, I said centre RUN by the Military, and only those who wanted to remain in the Military. I did not say they would be pressganged to serve IN the Military. Your reading of my post is the same as saying people arrested by the Police are Now Police Officers, or those in Prison are Prison Officers...Giveing someone military discipline is not the same as being in the Military..

Oh to answer your question, 5 years as a Para-Engineer, Paternal Grandfather and Great Uncle both retired from Military Service as Generals and Two cousins fought in the Falklands War...so I have some idea of military life..Well I think I do.. :)

Sponsored Links
Back