Conservatory do's and don'ts, ie what regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a quick outline off the limitations on size, height, construction etc.

The plan is to build a large free standing structure in our large garden.
It would be a metre from the neighbours garden and approx 8mt x 4.5mtrs.
One side, to the boundary would be full masonary construction with no windows.
A summer house/wooden building is also a consideration.

This would be a summer only usage, no heating and non liveable.

So in a nutshell what can I do or get away with with the least hassle. ;)

Sponsored Links
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

More limited heights apply when that close to the boundary, also Building Regs apply once over 30m2.

Very usefull, exactly what I needed cheers.

I have 2 further questions from that info;

Do I assume 30m2 is the internal floor area or the plan area?, may affect my approx dimensions

Would a conservatory,ie largely glass/dwarf brick be considered non flamable?

Thanks again

Do I assume 30m2 is the internal floor area or the plan area?, may affect my approx dimensions

My experience is that they won't bother measuring it.
I was building in single skin blockwork, 30M² (internal measurement) with dual-pitched roof and hips, and someone from Planning or Building Control came to visit, I assume following a complaint/report.
Although the workshop is at the bottom of the garden, the visitor only walked halfway towards it, turned around and said he's not interested.
Just before he left he asked "By the way, What is it for?"
I just told him it's a shed/workshop and I was aware of the Planning/Building requirements and kept within them.

Sponsored Links
Re: Planning, its a risky game to play if you do not build to PD, that said an La is unlikely to instigate any legal action to ask you to remove something or insist you apply for Planning Permission unless its an eyesore or blatantly oversized but a risk all the same.

Re: the area, Building Control will not really care unless there is a danger to the occupants or anyone else if the structural integrity is questionable. Agree they are unlikely to get their tape measure out unless a complaint is made. As long as you don't build it out of straw BC will not care.

Planning = External.
Building Regulations = Internal.

The masonry would be ok, but the glass... probably not. Your glazing/conservatory supplier should be able to provide you with this information. You can install fire resisting glass, which is obviously more expensive. Or even look at building that side of the conservatory in full height brick/blockwork?

Planning = External.
Building Regulations = Internal. A

The masonry would be ok, but the glass... probably not. Your glazing/conservatory supplier should be able to provide you with this information. You can install fire resisting glass, which is obviously more expensive. Or even look at building that side of the conservatory in full height brick/blockwork B ?
B

Excellant, thanks chap and to everyone else

A Brilliant
B That's exactly what I was intending as ready speced conservatories are 3 sided or hideously over expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back