Conservatory DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
Builder finished laying my conservatory base.
He dug a big hole, put in the hardcore, put sand on, put the Visqeen in up and over the sides then concreted.
Later he pulled the Visqeen back over the concrete and laid the 2 rows of a single wall I wanted. The conservatory is full height glass.
He says to put the Visqeen up inside the bricks but only one brick height, before I put the Kingspan insulation down.
I asked if the Visqeen should be cut away on the outside of the wall.
He said not to, as it was to make the base completely waterproof.
The photo shows the inside on the left of the wall, and on the right is the outside with pools of water in the Visqeen after it rained.

My worry is the rain will soak through the bottom bricks and maybe cause condensation, or worse.
Anyone have any views about whether I'm paranoid once more, or should I cut/leave the Visqeen around the base on the outside.
Thanks.
John

Attachments

• 2012a.jpg
    2012a.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not sure what doesn't make sense?
There's a full detailed explanation with a photo.
What have I missed out?
Nope, just re-read it and in my world it makes perfect sense.
Give me a clue, please.
John

With a floor slab, the DPM goes under it, then up the side of the floor slab between the floor and the wall, then is folded over the top of the wall under the DPC.

I can't understand what is going on at your place.

Ok, I'll have another go.
He laid a sheet of visqeen in the hole and filled it with concrete.
When it set, he pulled the excess visqeen back over the sides of the concrete onto the floor.
He then laid bricks on it, using it as a DPC.
He then cut the visqeen to cover the inside of the lower bricks when I put the insulation in.
He left the visqeen on the outside of the bricks and concrete excess intact, as my previous photo shows.
My question is the same as previously.
I've just taken another photo and attached it of the floor and inside of the brickwork.
Thanks.
John
20170621_19085.jpg

Last edited:
Is there an outer skin we can't see? If not how do you expect your single skin of brick to keep the damp out, irrespective of your 'dpc'?

Sorry Woody, I missed your reply. I was messing trying to reduce the photo when you posted.
Thanks for that.
From the last photo are you saying the visqeen is wrong?
The concrete pad is just below the garden level.
The bricks you can see then take it up to almost level with the decking.
When the conservatory is on them it will take it, and the floor, level with the decking, and the existing patio doors into the house floor level.
It was a local builder I've used before with a good reputation.
I know the base is nothing like all the bases shown on every conservatory site, but I didn't mention it as he has done plenty bases before he said, so I left him to it.

Are you saying the visqeen should go up and over the bricks and is now too short?
If so, could I silicone some more visqeen to the bricks and take it over the top, then silicone the visqeen in the photo to that?
Obviously it's done now so I've got to find some way of rectifying it.
Or have I misunderstood what you meant.
Thanks again.
John

As above Freddie, missed that while doing the last reply.
Sorry.
There's no outer skin.
I did worry about that when he did it.
He said he'd get engineering bricks so water couldn't soak through.
Am I completely stuffed or has anyone any suggestions.
Other than rip it out I hope.

Just had a thought...
Could I tank the inside?

Thanks.
John

Is this what is going on?

If so it's a bit crap as there is no protection for the DPM, and DPM is not a DPC.

foto_no_exif (3).jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do that Woody.
Almost right except the visqeen goes under first brick, then he's cut it off to go up the inside just to the top of the first brick.
He says by doing that the top brick will allow any damp to breathe through it.

As I said, he's an experienced builder and I trusted him to do it right.
The drawing is how it's supposed to look when finished... or not.
It's a DIY conservatory I'm erecting with a neighbours help.
It comes in 3 weeks.

Is there anything I can do to bodge up a bodged job?
Thanks again
John
b3a.jpg

This is what I thought he would do.
Every conservatory site I looked at used the same drawing.
I didn't show him it because I assumed he'd know how to do it.
He only put a 100mm pad in. Said with 6" of dolomite whacked down first it would be going nowhere.
Found 2.PNG
f2.jpg

John

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back