Conservatory DPC

I don't see anything wrong with this in theory, the dpm should really continue up and under your door (and windows if they are all the same level).

What you could do is lay another dpm over the concrete and up under your frames, this will solve any problems.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Righty then. The photo's do show a nice neat job and I can see what he has done, and he has taken into account the raised deck.

But its not right, or at least not as correct as it should be.

The DPM needs to go further up the wall and then be lapped over the top brick and tucked under the frame cill. Then ideally, DPC would be bedded on mortar on top of that. But you could just bed the polythene down on mortar and then bed the frame on mortar on top of that in this case. As long as the DPM is the thick type. If the DPM is cut too short to do this, then you will need to lap and tape a new strip to it.

The idea is to have a complete barrier between the inner floor and external wall, so that no damp can get across. None of this "breathing" nonsense.

Externally, there is a risk of puncture of the exposed DPM. Thats poor. You will need to protect this, and the easiest way would be either some minimum 25mm strips of polystyrene, a 50mm covering of concrete, or propriatary heave protection boards such as Cordeck Claymaster. Cover all vertical and horizontal DPM. All this at your builder's expense, as that is certainly not good building practice.

Thank you tomfe.
I missed this as I was adding to my previous post.
I had thought of that but wasn't sure it would be right.
I think you probably know a lot more than me so I'll do that.
Thanks for curing my insomnia.
John

Thanks Woody.
I'll certainly protect it as you suggested, combined with Tomfe's suggestion.
I didn't know the frame and DPC need to be mortared, as it doesn't mention that, so thanks for the info.
As for getting the builder back, I'm rubbish at confrontations and complaining.
You're right, of course, but for what it'll cost I'll do it myself.
Less hassle.
Thanks to all.
John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll certainly protect it as you suggested, combined with Tomfe's suggestion.

If you are going to carry out tom's suggestion, then you wont have to protect the external DPM as I suggested.

It's the one or the other, don't do both.

If the builder has gone, and not coming back, then its easier and cheaper for you to do as tom suggests.

Thanks again Woody.
The base and life just got better.
Thanks to all who replied to me.
John
PS. I can't figure out how to thank people.
Googled it and it said top right of a post is a thanks button.
I can't see one anywhere.

Now I've got problems.
As you can see from the photo, I've got rain coming in under the Visqeen?
Following previous suggestions, the drawing shows I used the proper - expensive - tape to stick an extra length of visqeen to the cut-off piece in previous photos.
(The tape in the photo is just duct tape to make the 'flap' look neater.)
I lapped it over the wall and stuck it to the outside face of the bricks.
How water can get under the Visqeen I don't know.
I'll be putting an extra sheet of Visqeen in as suggested, as the drawing shows.
1a.jpg
1b.jpg

I know this will stop any water entering the floor, but I'd really like to stop the water coming in in the first place.
All I can think of is a good bead of silicone around the bottom.
Then some 120mm UPVc siliconed to the Visqeen and again along the bottom.
Any thoughts?
I know it's a bodge job but I've got a conservatory stood on it now.
Since I put the roof and doors on a couple of days ago this is the first time it's rained, so I wasn't aware of the problem as it's been a paddling pool in previous downpours.
I've text the builder today but had no reply.
Thanks,
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back