Conservatory floor height and what do with door sills advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly to lay the concrete slab for my conservatory.. The access to the conservatory from the house are through two sets of upvc doors on my property which have upvc door sills outside

My question is what height do people normally build a conseravatory floor to..is it the same height as the house or slightly lower?? What do i do about the door sills how to people normally handle this?? Do they cut them out or pour the concrete around them..Bear in mind that the conservatory will be tiled and therefore tiling around sills will be tricky..any advice greatfully received!

Sponsored Links
i have the same scenario on my own conservatory which is in its early stages. i have laid a sub slab and intend to lay a 75mm screed on top.
i'm thinking of thickening the screed so that, the screed plus floor covering engulfs the existing sill completely.

Unless there is a really good reason not to, the floor should be level with the house.

I would also try and cover the external cills with screed, or cut them out. And then that will only leave that nasty threshold to step over which is on all PVCu doors.

If it was me, I would replace the door and frame to leave a flush floor threshold

Whatever you do, DONT remove the doors alltogether. If you do, it then falls under building regs and causes a real head ache :eek:

Sponsored Links
Cut the external cill off, or sometimes they "pop" off the runner clips. This should just leave the bottom of the door, which will be internal floor height.
Build your height of damp course for the conservatory to this height, lay concrete in with dpm and insulation, tile on top up to the door. No need for screed, whats the point?

If you go for a flush floor through from the house, always use some sort of stop threshold on the building line even if you make that flush. If you just tile through it usually always cracks due to differential movement between the house & the conservatory.

Our conservatory floor is level with the internal rooms in the house, but when we go outside, we have to step up onto the ground outside. This is because the builder followed the wrong plans :rolleyes:. Always get a reputable professional from the company that supplies the conservatory ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back