Conservatory planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am looking to do conservatory. My width of house is 17ft

I am planning to use 15ft width for the conservatory and 3m depth which i believe is legal limit.

My question is, i was hoping to do brick pillars and side walls as maybe brick or plaster boards than windows and the front to have full length bi folding doors.

Is this legal? or do i need planning permission? i know its not like conservatory due to the walls on side but that's because the neighbors have similar and even if i put windows all i would see is there fence.

Please advice

thanks

Sponsored Links
Whether or not it is classed as a conservatory largely depends on the separation between it and the house.

There is 2 doors, one door from kitchen and a patio from the living room, those will stay there as locking.

is this what you mean?

Yes, as long as they are external-grade doors, you will be exempt, assuming < 30 sq.m. floor area.
(Ventilation to the inner room might be an issue)

Sponsored Links
In a planning context there is no conservatory definition, it's just the same as a brick extension.

Quite correct; I was getting my Building Regs mixed up with Planning, though from what OP says it appears to be permitted development.

It seems that many people nowadays have realised how limited a traditional plastic conservatory is, and are opting for brick walls and flat roof. Then once they realise how comfortable and useful it is, the next thing they do is rip the doors out and use it as an extension.

In a planning context there is no conservatory definition, it's just the same as a brick extension.

There's no definition of a conservatory in building regulations either. What building regulations do is tell you which conservatories are exempt.

Cheers
Richard

There's no definition of a conservatory in building regulations either. What building regulations do is tell you which conservatories are exempt.

Cheers
Richard

If they tell us which conservatories are exempt, then surely conservatories must have been defined in the first place?

For building regulations, the common dictionary meaning or general modern day parlance is applied - a conservatory is a conservatory and an extension is an extension. For planning regulations it does not, a conservatory is an extension.

If they tell us which conservatories are exempt, then surely conservatories must have been defined in the first place?

For building regulations, the common dictionary meaning or general modern day parlance is applied - a conservatory is a conservatory and an extension is an extension. For planning regulations it does not, a conservatory is an extension.

I agree. I was trying to clarify the suggestion in an earlier post that "Whether or not it is classed as a conservatory largely depends on the separation between it and the house".

To be accurate, whether building regs class it as *an exempt conservatory* largely depends on the separation between it and the house. A structure can meet the dictionary definition of a conservatory, but not be an exempt conservatory under building regs.

But planning doesn't care one way or the other. Either it's too big or it isn't. Although isn't it the case that conservatories are also exempt from the permitted development requirement of being finished in materials similar to the house? So planning does make a small distinction.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back