Conservatory wall - Cavity or solid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a conservatory built for which we are doing our own base work.

The conservatory surveyor has been round today to go through measurements etc before we start and has said that they mainly build a solid wall rather than a cavity due to the fact that it makes the frames impinge less as the wall will be slightly thinner.

Is it normal to have solid walls rather than ones with a cavity? We are having full height glass on three walls and a full height wall on one side (which this query relates to).

Answers greatly recevied.

Sponsored Links
Would wholly agree with above.
Standard block laid flat has a U value of 0.57
Insulated cavity (phenolic foam) Uvalue 0.37

Spend the extra on higher spec glazing.
Standard today is argon filled low e 0.2 hard coat u value 2.1
Ask for low e 0.05 soft coat u value 1.7

Would wholly agree with above.
Standard block laid flat has a U value of 0.57
Insulated cavity (phenolic foam) Uvalue 0.37

Spend the extra on higher spec glazing.
Standard today is argon filled low e 0.2 hard coat u value 2.1
Ask for low e 0.05 soft coat u value 1.7
Grande oreja cierre el jode arriba :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I can't see any point in a cavity wall, and no point at all in insulating a conservatory wall - the heat is going out of the roof bigtime

I'd prefer the extra space and narrower cills

But the conservatory guy is not right or wrong, its just one or the other - your choice really

exactly woody , two ends of mine are face with a 100mm thermo butted up tight,waste of time effort and money , thats lugs for you :LOL:

Hi
The cavity isn't just for providing insulation. It also prevents wind driven rain from entering the building. It is true however that you are going to loose a lot of heat from the glazing, mostly through the roof but if you do insulation the cavity you will then have a little less exposed wall helping to improve comfort levels even if just slightly.

Hi
The cavity isn't just for providing insulation. It also prevents wind driven rain from entering the building. It is true however that you are going to loose a lot of heat from the glazing, mostly through the roof but if you do insulation the cavity you will then have a little less exposed wall helping to improve comfort levels even if just slightly.
what a load of old b...s :LOL:

The devil is in the detail, if its going to be a cheap conservatory with polycarbonate roof then do not bother trying to insulate, the room will only be fit for use for a few months of the year unheated
If it is a quality build then crystal clear a higher spec of glazing, insulated walls and floor should be a major consideration to retain heat and maximise solar gains.
In fact I can not for the life of me see the appeal of conservatories when for little more you can build a sun room that would have a thermal envelope that exceeds that of the home it is built on to.
Dont heed slowtrowell he still lives in a cave and eats hedgehogs.

Why bother having a wall. Or roof. Or windows.

I've always thought it was so when the moss falls off the main roof, it does not land in your cup of tea?

Anyway 9" walls have done us well for many, many years, and still do. The amount of air circulation, passive heat and evaporation will deal with any very slight chance that that moisture gets across the wall.

The space, and possibly the appearance is more valuable than the insignificant (and barely calculable) amount of heat retention which insulation will provide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back