Conservatoy as utility room

rt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want a small utility room 2.6m X 2.6m put on the side of the kitchen to link the kitchen back door and the garage but also to house the boiler and washing machine which are currently in the garage.

Can this be of a conservatory structure i.e. polycarbonate roof, 600mm high walls and windows above? The neighbours already have a similar structure which is 3.2m along the boundary and 2.6m wide for a similar purpose. Do I require planning permission for this?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
If you maintain the current kitchen door then this will only be classed as a lean to structure and not a full extension. So probably won't require planning. Ask at the council planning office anyway, they should be helpful and won't bite your arm off.
Moving the boiler can be expensive!

why on earth do you want a utility room with only 600 high walls?

you will have no wall space. :confused:

planning permission is unlikely.

building reg's is unlikely too.

If it's within 2 metres of your neighbours fence then it will need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
The wall at the front will be 1000mm high not 600mm. The space will have 3 walls with no glazing only a door from the kitchen and the garage, so there will still be plenty of wall space.

Is there a minimum amount of glazing I should have in this front wall. It is planed to have a 1250mm wide by 1000mm high window and a 950mm by 2100 fully glazed door.

Also what would be the maximum I could build out along the boundary. The side area along the boundary is 2.6m wide and 3.9m being level with the back of the house to the garage.

Planning rules seem to say it would be 3m is this correct?

Tanks for the help.

as said earlier, these questions will be better answered at the council office.

i do understand though, that a structure that contains a certain amount of wall space does fall under regulations, but i'm not sure how this works with a connie style roof. :confused:

joe-90 wrote:
If it's within 2 metres of your neighbours fence then it will need planning permission.

Noseall:
wtf, says who.

I've read that before, but only if the addition is greater than 4 metres high?

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back