considering replacing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a reliable Baxi boiler which is 25 years old, and serviced annually by bg
I have been advised that it is probably only about 40% efficient against the 80% of a new combi boiler.
My gas bill averages around £1200 per year.
Main reasons for change is to reduce my gas bill.
Question, is the combi that much cheaper to run and will I make the savings as indicated in my bills.

Sponsored Links
I dont think you mean combi. You want a conventional boiler still thats a condensing model.

And while i doubt your boiler is as low as 40% you will still see an improvment.

Get a band A. Worcester or Vaillant if you want quality, both are over 90% efficient.

I dont mean to hijack a post, but would like to clarify something if you have the time.

Is it more efficienct to have a conventional condenser than a combi condenser?

If so why?

and should the HW Cylender be left heating all the time ie just topping the heat up or just a few hours in teh morning and night?

People always ask me this and Im never 100% sure what the right answer is.

I dont know where some people get these high bills.
I am retired and my Ferroli combi 8yrs old is on from 8-30 AM until
10-30PM every day and EDF have just reduced our Direct Debit to £20 per month. Gas only used for heating & water no cooking.
3 Bedroom semi, cavity wall & plenty of loft insulation.
£240 a Year.

JonB

Sponsored Links
Your old boiler will be about 65% efficient. ie for every £1 you spend on gas you will get 65p of heat. A new condensing boiler will be about 90% efficient. likewise 90p for every £1
Look up efficiencies at www.sedbuk.com

Check out www.est.org.uk for other energy saving measures and grants
I reckon that including installation a combi costs about £300- £350[insert your own figures here] a year to install and maintain over a 10 year lifespan. Theres more stuff to go wrong in new boilers and the parts arent always so easy to get hold of!

If you reckon getting a new boiler will make your 25p savings per £1 add up to more than the £300 odd I mentioned earlier, then it could be worthwhile investing in a new boiler. But weigh this up with the fact that you will be spending more days and nights in the cold and the fact that you could save more than this with other energy saving devices and insulation

Keep the boiler, upgrade the controls. And start a 'boiler account'. More efficient controls will be more cost effective. Lesser number of parts in present boiler equate to fewer breakdowns.

I was not aware BG serviced boiler (or could) during short time on site. Getting the boiler serviced as per the manufactures detail will also help reduce bills. Getting the system chemically cleansed and treated will assist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back