consumer unit connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can anyone advise me what type of connectors should be used if some of the existing cables to be connected to a new consumer unit need to be extended. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the TYPE of connectors that should be used to extend the cables if the they do not reach to the connection strips inside a new consumer unit. thanks

Sponsored Links
still waiting for sensible reply! :LOL:

You may find that some posters on this forum have deemed your level of competence too low to be doing work on or in consumer units, and therefor will not offer you advice.

Me for example.

this annoys me...I can work on the brakes of my car...which can cause death and injury to myself and others and yet do a sound job to an extremly high standard. and yet people like yourself can through restricting information cause others to guess and endanger themselves. Being intelligent I will go to the library and not create any risk. Arrogance kills...and you could be to blame! :evil:

So you think encouraging you to do the work is the best thing?

I could probably have a go at replacing the brakes on my car. I mean, how hard can it be?
The reason I don't is because I don't know for sure I would do it right, so I employ someone to do it for me who does know what they are doing. I wouldn't fancy doing something thinking I was doing it right, but really I'm doing it wrong. Not something that could kill me without warning.

Do you service your own boiler and install gas supplies too?

What you should be doing is trying to find a local competent electrician to do the work safely for you.

OP:
Either replace the cables with ones that are long enough, move consumer unit so cables don't need extended, or as a last resort, find out how to extend cables (oh that's what you asked).
Don't take this the wrong way but do you have access to a proper crimping tool, the correct size crimps, heat shrink and actually know how to use them?
I would solder and heatshrink, but that's just me. (As I'm confident with my soldering, not suggesting it's a job for a novice)

probably will solder..yes very good at that!

thanks to those who give positive replies.

money is the root of all evil!!!

Look, you took offence because this is probably one of the most frightening posts we ahve had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob, gave you really good advice (get a sparky) and a great example why not to.

BAS, in his own special way, said the same thing

Everyone else will do the same.

The fact is you are messing about in the one area of your house where you really do not have a clue.

Yes you could crimp, me I'd never do it, but the right tools are so important as well!!!!!!!!!!!11

Do you own calibrated crimping tool????? I suspect not.

Me I would be putting in one solid tail (x2) and then complying with the regs re BS7671 and what the supplier and DNO require

Have you the foggiest what this might entail??????

What about your bonding? Is that upto to scratch???

And your Earthing arrangements? Are thet adequate??? Is your Ze within an exceptable tolerance? How do you know? Do you own the appropriate test equipemnt??

Most the answers to these questions will be WHAT????? and obtaining the answers even harder!!!!!!

You know we boys and girls do this day in day out for a living, the vast majority ask for a decent days pay for a decent days work, we are qualified, registered, insured and reliable.

You do this work, potentially get it wrong, burn the house down lose the wife and kids possibly and then your insurance is invalid anyway and you've lost everything just because you would not pay a couple of hundred quid to have it done properly!!!!!

So here is my advice, get 2 coat hangers stick them where you old tails are and hope it works

You have not go the foggiest, the skills or the know how to do this!!!!

Sorry but, attitudes of 'please can you help.......you're advice is not acceptable' really gets my GOAT

people like yourself can through restricting information cause others to guess and endanger themselves.
None of the information you need is restricted, it's just that you'll have to go about getting it in a structured manner which ensures that you also get all the other information you need which you may not even realise you don't know.

Replacing a CU is a very non-trivial task, and to do it properly requires knowledge and skills which you do not possess and which you cannot adequately acquire just by asking the odd questions which happen to occur to you.

Being intelligent I will go to the library and not create any risk.
You'll find a reading list here.

Arrogance kills...and you could be to blame! :evil:
Don't be so pathetic.

If you screw up it will be entirely due to your arrogance in thinking that you know more than the people here who have advised you not to go ahead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back