consumer unit difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm having a new consumer unit fitted next week and would like to know the difference between the following:

A. MK sentry 10 way fully insulated dual RCD

B. MK Sentry 17th 10 way split load 80 + 63 RCD

My sparky told me that he would fit me a split box. Just trying to understand the difference and make sure I get the right one

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Other than faulty components which one would hope the recall has corrected there are three main types of RCD fitted in twin RCD consumer units.
1) STD which will trip between 15ma and 30ma.
2) Newer types which light an indicator at 15ma to warn of impending fault and trip at 90% of 30ma (21ma) and of course are more expensive.
3) Auto resetting type which after tripping checks the output for faults and if clear auto resets. (Very expensive)
There are also less obvious differences and some do trip erroneously more often than others.

Also the more RCD's that are used the less you will get a problem with one item causing power failure on another. Using RBCO's were permitted can be a great boom and are less likely to cause problems than using just a pair.

However as with most things one gets what one pays for and the only guy who can decide what level of immunity to tripping is required is you. In my house if I was to do it again I would go for RBCO's as my twin RCD's do trip from time to time.

Three things control price.
1) Greed there will always be people who charge over the top.
2) How well made it is.
3) How many of them are made.

You can buy plug in RCD's at around £13 and in the main that is because so many are made so the price comes down. But for units to fit inside a consumer unit a RCD is about £35 for basic unit or as RBCO but for the auto resetting you are looking at £350 each. And of course anything special is harder to get and you may have to order special which if it ever goes wrong would be a real pain.

So I would go for a "High Integrity Consumer Unit" these have two RCD's but also have a section where you can fit RBCO's and even if on original fitting you only have blanks fitted it means if latter you have problems with a circuit you can move it to a RBCO and so it will not effect rest of house. Also you should always have a few spare ways for latter use anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back