Which consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest the best consumer unit for a five bed place with lots of electical units.

I was looking at the 16 way split load MK Sentry, is it any good? Is there better?

Also, there are two thermostatic showers (fed from an unvented tank), do these need to be on a MCB?

Sponsored Links
AndyDavis said:
Can anyone suggest the best consumer unit for a five bed place with lots of electical units.

Rather depends on where you are going to locate the consumer unit and how much space you have.

I was looking at the 16 way split load MK Sentry, is it any good? Is there better?

MK is a good brand - there are many sparks who would choose MK over pretty much anything else.

Also, there are two thermostatic showers (fed from an unvented tank), do these need to be on a MCB?

MCB are the little circuit breakers that go in the consumer unit. I think you mean RCD. I am assuming that the showers are electric - yes they must be protected by a 30mA RCD and yes they would be on an MCB.

Do you know what type of supply you have? TT, TN-C, TN-C-S, or TN-S? Do you know how to make the supply to the consumer unit safe when you come to replace it? If not, I'd strongly recommend that you get a competent electrician in to advise you. They shouldn't charge you for the initial quote.

--
Michael

What kind of shower is it? When you say thermostatic, do you mean a mixer shower? If not an electric shower, do they have pumps?

Yes, the shower is a thermostatic mixer thats fed with mains pressure water directly from a Megaflo tank, so not an electric shower and no pumps. Does that sort of shower normally have any electrical connections?

Not sure what sort of supply I've got, how can I tell?

I'm getting a sparky in to do the job, but I want to make sure that I end up with something thats good for me.

Sponsored Links
AndyDavis said:
Yes, the shower is a thermostatic mixer thats fed with mains pressure water directly from a Megaflo tank, so not an electric shower and no pumps. Does that sort of shower normally have any electrical connections?
Possibly supplementary bonding, depending on how it's supplied, plumbing-wise, but other than that, no.

Not sure what sort of supply I've got, how can I tell?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.2.1.htm

I'm getting a sparky in to do the job, but I want to make sure that I end up with something thats good for me.
Why not let him supply the CU?

AndyDavis said:
Yes, the shower is a thermostatic mixer thats fed with mains pressure water directly from a Megaflo tank, so not an electric shower and no pumps. Does that sort of shower normally have any electrical connections.

No electrical connections required in this case

Sorry to an an@l pedant, but as Ban said, no connections apart from supplementary bonding.

Just want to make it clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back