Consumer unit in a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Yes but, from the photographs, the OP cannot remove/reposition the meter himself and that will remain in the steamy windowless bathroom to be.
What photographs? have I missed them?

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry John, no you haven't missed them - I think 1550 made reference to them on page one - but they haven't been posted here. They are available on the OP's profile page - although I think he said that they had been tidied up.

Sorry John, no you haven't missed them - I think 1550 made reference to them on page one - but they haven't been posted here. They are available on the OP's profile page - although I think he said that they had been tidied up.
Ah, thanks - I see!

What's that enclosure to the left of the meter - another CU?

Kind Regards, John.

Yes but, from the photographs, the OP cannot remove/reposition the meter himself
Indeed not. But he can pay somebody who can.

and that will remain in the steamy windowless bathroom to be.
No it won't - he'll have to get the DNO to move it for him.

I suspect he'll need an electrician to move the CU(s) as well.

Sponsored Links
would your opinion be the same if the electrical equipment was in a suitable enclosure as I mentioned above

It would depend on the exact design of the enclosure.

As you say the joys of an old house, the bedroom idea is even worse in some respects (person ill in bed, work needed at the meter position - not on really)
At height, working at height regs affect us as regards access to read or work on it.

To me the big problem with the original idea is the shower, ir that was done away with there would be no issues (I've seen CUs in new homes in downstairs toilets!)

The whole point of my position is that there does not need to be a regulation to prevent something happening. To expect so is, to be honest, living in cloud cuckoo land!

The point about being involved in anything as a professional is to use best practice as well as any regulations. We often talk of good engineering practice in the office where there is no specific rule, that is what my colleagues and I are paid to do, to make decisions in the absence of specific rules and be prepared to justify that decision. Thus it has been for the neatly 40 years I've worked there!

Before deciding anything people need to look at the possible safety issues and other implications of what you plan, OK a private house owner is not bound by a lot of legislation, but in the event of something going wrong you can be sure the authorities will refer to that legislation for an indication of what is best practice!

If I've understood correctly all circuits in a bathroom must now be protected by an RCD. What about the tails into the CU? No RCD on them normally. Do they count as a circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back