Consumer Unit question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a house that I rent out and it's got a consumer unit supplied with cartridge fuses. These seem to be a real pain, as unlike the old re-wireable units or the newer circuit breakers, if the fuse blows, you need a replacement fuse and I have difficulty finding a local supplier, and when I do they ain't cheap. Question, is it possible to use mini circuit breakers in place of the cartridge fuses, and still use the original consumer box. ?? :cry:

Sponsored Links
It'll depend on the make and style of your CU. Take the cartridge fuse holder into your local electrical wholesaler and you should be able to try it in various makes of CU. If the fuse fits the board, purchase one of that make of circuit breaker and try it in your board at home. You need to check everything lines up and also that the lid fits back on afterwards. If you have no joy, the wholesaler should take the cb back and refund you (hopefully). You may then need to consider buying a stock of fuses (again, your wholesaler) or changing the CU to a more modern/suitable one.
Fuses shouldn't be rupturing on a regular basis though! That could indicate an underlying problem.

50p says you've got a Wylex Standard CU like this.
p2376561_l.jpg

MCBs are readily available and your supplier will have cratefuls of them.
p1991335_l.jpg

But I agree, you shouldn't be having failures (except perhaps if you've got spotlight on a lighting circuit, which usually seem to take the fuse with them when they blow)

John D you owe me 50p - the cu I have currently is not Wylex - i'm not certain that Wylex made cu that accept cartridge fuses (or am I wrong )

Sponsored Links
Yes, you are. What make is it, then?

Another 50p says you won't be able to find me to collect :D

You don't know the steps I go to, to recover money owed !! :LOL:

ok, another 50p it is then. The CU in question is at another of my houses (rented) i'm off there Wed for a squint so will let you know shortly - in the meantime start saving up !! :mrgreen:

electricalkid said:
i'm not certain that Wylex made cu that accept cartridge fuses (or am I wrong )

you are wrong, the wylex standard CU's took cartridge fuses as well as re-wireables

WYC5.JPG

I want 50p for consultancy services...

teachergeezer said:
It'll depend on the make and style of your CU. Take the cartridge fuse holder into your local electrical wholesaler and you should be able to try it in various makes of CU. If the fuse fits the board, purchase one of that make of circuit breaker and try it in your board at home. You need to check everything lines up and also that the lid fits back on afterwards. If you have no joy, the wholesaler should take the cb back and refund you (hopefully). You may then need to consider buying a stock of fuses (again, your wholesaler) or changing the CU to a more modern/suitable one.
Fuses shouldn't be rupturing on a regular basis though! That could indicate an underlying problem.
when we had the old wylex fuse board,with MCB replacements, the cover didnt fit back on. In fact, none of the MCB-wylex's ive seen have a cover on them!

crafty1289 said:
when we had the old wylex fuse board,with MCB replacements, the cover didnt fit back on. In fact, none of the MCB-wylex's ive seen have a cover on them!

very good point, I've got a 12-way metalclad fitted with MCBs from new, the covers had been opened up like hatch surrounds to let the MCBs poke through!

Has anyone thought to mention that the max Ze is different for breakers than 1361's or 3036's.
It would be worth having a PIR to ensure you are still safe, especially as you are renting these houses out.

It'll be higher, won't it?

Should be checked I agree, as it might be way out of kilter.

electricalkid said:
the cu I have currently is not Wylex

that narrows it down. unless you give us the info, we cant give you any advice

OK Andy, stand by your bed ! ............. i'm over at the house tomorrow and will find out the info, might even take a snap if I can find my camera ;)

I'm back again !! - the consumer unit fitted currently that takes the cartridge fuses is a MEM Memera 3 model - what I ideally need to know is whether I can get mini circuit breakers to fit this CU rather than use the antiquated cartridge fuses it currently has. ps have taken a snap of the CU and downloaded it onto my computer but don't know how to move it over to this thread so you can have lookie see - any ideas. Thanks

If i'm stuck with having to retain the MEM can anybody let me know where I can get a few at low cost ?? - cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back