Consumer unit replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam thinking of having an electric shower fitted but someone at work told me if i have the old sytle consumer unit i would have to have it replaced with a newer rcd style consumer unit becuase it has a separate switch for the shower, he had the same kind of work done about one year ago so i take it hes correct in what hes saying.
How much is it likely to add to the price of the job (midlands area)? i think a new unit is about £60 but is it a big job or not.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there are no spare ways on your existing consumer unit and no RCD protection then there are a couple of ways forward. A complete new consumer unit is the most sensible option, as your existing one could be 20+ years old, but if the wiring attached to it is also old then it may not be possible to replace without a full or partial rewire.

For you, the cheapest option will be to fit a DP isolator straight after the meter, and split the tails to feed both your existing CU and a small shower supply CU with RCD.

No idea what it will cost you, there are too many variables to consider. Certainly many multiples of £60!

instead of splitting tails could yon not run from breaker to rcd enclosure?

Sponsored Links
Probably not.

Wylex standard fuse boxes have a maximum rating of 30A per outgoing way, which is not big enough for the vast majority of modern electric showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back