consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new consumer unit fitted but the front cover does not seem to be sealed tight in places.
I mean it is screwed in but there is a 1 or 2mm gap in places between the front cover and the rest of the CU.

Is it a bodge install? The unit was new when the electrician brought it in.
I missed this when i inspected the work before paying up :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
it might be that the wall is not perfectly flat and the case has twisted a little.

The front part usually overlaps the back part quite a lot.

Are there gaps you could poke a finger or screwdriver through?

can you post some pics?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

looks reasonable. You could give the front cover a push in case the screws are not tight, but if it won't go on any further, the overlap prevents contact round the sides. as it is on a back-board I doubt it is twisted out of shape.

However the cut-out at the bottom is not very neat, if you can pack some flexible sealant such as is used round baths to fill the gap that will be an improvement.

Sponsored Links
Per the above, either the wall isnt flat or the back part has been screwed on a little off square. I've found MK especially bad at this.

Also, sometimes you get this effect if the front fixing screws aren't properly engaged and screwed down.

Turn off the main switch and remove the front cover. Check for square, maybe slacken off the screws that fix it to the wall a smidgin and then refix the front cover.

I would seal that before a curious bod sticks there finger in there. Also the spare ways in the board should be fitted with blanks.

Is it a bodge install? :

Yes - main unit not square hence gaps between front cover and back box; huge gaps at base look big enough for a finger or two to penetrate and plenty of missing blanks.

Hope you haven't paid the guy yet - drag him back to finish the job properly - he should be ashamed of such a job.

Screwfix are selling fully loaded Crabtree split-load boards with a free li-ion power screwdriver, about £75 if im remember right.

Strange, as it says in crabtree's manual NOT to use one of these for installing a CU (apart from the screws into the wall that is). As if you'd be stupid enough to do so anyway...

Is it a bodge install? :

Yes - main unit not square hence gaps between front cover and back box; huge gaps at base look big enough for a finger or two to penetrate and plenty of missing blanks.

Hope you haven't paid the guy yet - drag him back to finish the job properly - he should be ashamed of such a job.

hi,

what do you mean by main unit not square?

Not square normally means wonky.
Agree with the other bits, there is no reason for the big holes in the bottom and he should have fitted the blanks where the spare ways are.

Not square normally means wonky.
Agree with the other bits, there is no reason for the big holes in the bottom and he should have fitted the blanks where the spare ways are.

so much for getting a reccomended spark who is part p registered :rolleyes:

how big a job is it fixing this front cover properly? Do any wires have to be disconnected or tested after this operations?

just so i know what ti expect if the guy comes back :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be a big job to put right, he shouldn't have left it without the blanks in place tho, I would hope his competent person scheme will not be happy about things like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back