consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone tell me where i can get ( fire rated) board to mount consumer unit on as i want it on a board rather than direct to wall?

Sponsored Links
can someone tell me where i can get ( fire rated) board to mount consumer unit on as i want it on a board rather than direct to wall?

As this is part of your house rewire, your electrician should be able to source something for you.
Alternatively and probably try
http://www.cfanderson.co.uk/products/Timber-and-Boards/Plywood/Flame-Retardant-Plywood

Why do you need fire rated board - is the fitting of the consumer unit going to be that hazardous that you are going to set fire to the house?

"is the fitting of the consumer unit going to be that hazardous that you are going to set fire to the house"
No more so than me needing access to my junction box or me putting a nail through a cable in the joist.

Sponsored Links
by securing the services of a competent electrician to inspect and test my installation and they will provide an appropriate test certificate to confirm this.
Having said that my cabling is far neater and routed far better than the guy i paid £5000 on the last house who was a "competent " electrician.
I certainly won't be installing a junction box under my bath this time.

Fire resistant board should not really be needed, to mount a CU on.
Providing the surface you are mounting on to, is non-combustible.
But have you considered, if you really desire a fire barrier of this kind using fire rated plasterboard. Such, British Gypsum Fireline or Firecase or Flameline or just the standard wallboard as that too is non-combustible?

Thanks, my idea was to have the board mounted on battens then run cables behind into consumer unit (hidden), but on thinking about it, i guess that could pose the possibility of having live wires exposed behind that could potentially get a screw in at some point even though i have seen some pros do this.?

by securing the services of a competent electrician to inspect and test my installation.
Fair enough.

Have you got someone engaged, in case they want to inspect at various stages, or do the council only want a PIR?

Thanks, my idea was to have the board mounted on battens then run cables behind into consumer unit (hidden), but on thinking about it, i guess that could pose the possibility of having live wires exposed behind that could potentially get a screw in at some point even though i have seen some pros do this.?
Someone would have to be spectacularly daft to drill through a board that a CU was on.

Is it the rear entry that appeals to you (fnarr, fnarr), or the concealment?

You can get a route for the former just by spacing the CU away from the wall - long screws going through doorstops, for example.

If the cables run directly vertical or horizontal to the consumer unit, this is considered a safe zone. Which complies to the 17th eds, so you will see electricians doing this, as it is allowed. But that does not mean some crazy fool, one day in the distant future wont fit a shelf above the CU and take the cables out.

The best way to reduce this is to protect the cables, this could either by the use of mechanical protection or position of cables (ie the depth at which the cables are within the void). But you will never totally eradicate the possibility of the cables being mechanically damaged, just reduce it.

http://www.johnlewis.com/243521/Product.aspx
Possibly.

Or possibly these....

585031.JPG

But you will never totally eradicate the possibility of the cables being mechanically damaged, just reduce it.
Could use 25mm thick sheet of stainless steel instead of plywood/chipboard....

But assuming the CU is in a cupboard, or a garage, not on display in a hallway/living room etc, why bother concealing the cables?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back