Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all went to have a look at a c/U change and came across this. Have never seen a C/U like this before can anyone tell me what the top bit is .its a merlin green and is it any different to a standard domestic C/U

Sponsored Links
House is having a extension built with extra bathroom with electric shower was just going to put shower c/u up but customer wants changing so all on RCD

Yes thought it looked commercial

Sponsored Links
Ok fair enough, its probably a better quality unit than anything else on the market other than another MG

Merlin Gerin Isobar they also do a 3ph version great quality units not normally found in a domestic setup.

I fitted a MG unit for a guy who was an ex NASA engineer, he had researched long and hard and concluded that this was the best on the market, he had suffered from nuisance tripping of RCBOs on his Proteus CU for years, after the MG went in no more nuisance trips

The top busbar ABOVE the mcb's has tabs you move over the terminal screw to shield them. This also 'turns on' that particular busbar stab.
That's very snazzy (hence, I assume, expensive), but does it actually represent much of an advantage - other than to someone who wishes to work in the CU when it is at least partially live?

Kind Regards, John

I come across plenty of the 3ph ones but that's the first single I've seen! didn't realise they existed.

Matt

I've seen newer MG SP units with this busbar/mcb pan, didnt realise they had been around nearly as long as me!

And John, the busbar design is certainly more advantageous in big 3P+N boards where it supplies things like alarms, fire alarms, IT systems etc where it would necessarily be practical to deenergise the whole board to swap an rcbo for example

And John, the busbar design is certainly more advantageous in big 3P+N boards where it supplies things like alarms, fire alarms, IT systems etc where it would necessarily be practical to deenergise the whole board to swap an rcbo for example
Yes, that makes sense. As I said when asking about advantages...
....other than to someone who wishes to work in the CU when it is at least partially live?

Kind Regards, John

They are a bit more expensive, but not horrendously so.

Of course no one should be working on an energised board, but these are a very safe board even whilst energised with the cover removed.

The only advantage they offer in the domestic market is build quality, and range and availablity of devices.

How many times have you put the cover back on and realised you have not slid the MCB shield over Rob? :LOL:

What annoys me with the TPN covers is the left hand set of screws - a PITA to remove being so close to the door hinge!

Excellent build quality though.

matt1e - Most manufacturers who produce a TPN board will also produce a single phase variant. They are usually known as Type A and Type B boards. A being single phase, B being three phase.

How many times have you put the cover back on and realised you have not slid the MCB shield over Rob? :LOL:

Just like putting the cover on a domestic board and then seeing the busbar shroud still sat on the floor? :evil:

Yep, that certainly happens many times. You quite often find them sat on top of a CU when you go to do an EICR too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back