Consumer Units.

Yes common sense is a large part of what we do but essentially your statement that a single RCD as the incomer meets the 17th edition of BS7671 is just plain wrong.

It meets the requirement to protect certain circuits with 30mA RCD fault protection but it is agaings BSs7671 in many other respects as pointed out above.

This chestnut illustrates why:

"You are 79 years old. The time is 9.30 p.m. It is December, it's dark and the weather is cold.
You come from the bathroom on the first floor, just on top of the stairs. The thermostat of the central heating comes on, a neutral to earth fault on the pump trips the residual current device which is the incoming device on the distribution board and all supply is lost in the home.
No lights.
What happens next..."

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:
I think that I'd get into bed and explain to the missus how to reset the C/U. :LOL:

Ed.

And that's the problem. Unless the missus has her tools to hand and can fault find and fix a neutral-earth fault it's no supply and no nooky!

Sponsored Links
Ah - but probably not installed according to the manufacturer's instructions if there's no regular phone in the house as well... ;)

...if all circuits are covered by a RCD then it does meet (in a rubbishy sort of way) 17th edition?

Meeting regulations in a rubbishy sort of way is not a recognised method of compliance with 7671:2008.

Either it meets or it does not.

Yet again, manufacturer's attempts at a compromise seem to have become acceptable & the venerable split-load board (although revised for the new edition) lives on.

Personally, I feel that the only way to FULLY comply with regulations is to fit RCBO's (literally) across the board.

The problem stems from the use of the word "minimise" in the regs, because I'm sure they didn't actually mean that.

And if they did then RCBOs as you suggest wouldn't comply either...

Thanks to all for the input. I just need a small consumer unit for 4 circuits. Maybe I should just say that I discussed the changing of the consumer unit prior to the 17th regs coming live and fit a 16th edition instead, if the client is happy!!! Then it's allowed, but hard to prove.

Thanks again.... I'm off to buy a new phone!!!! :LOL:

Unless the missus has her tools to hand ... no nooky!

That suggests completely the opposite. Even better if she's got your tool in her hand. Then who cares about whether the immersion still works? :eek:

Sorry, off topic I know.

Thanks to all for the input. I just need a small consumer unit for 4 circuits. Maybe I should just say that I discussed the changing of the consumer unit prior to the 17th regs coming live and fit a 16th edition instead, if the client is happy!!! Then it's allowed, but hard to prove.
All sorts of things become possible when you lie and falsify documentation.

In one of your other posts you claim to have decided to become an NIC AC. I'm sure they would love to take on somebody who notes that a job needs doing but doesn't because he can't be arsed. Oh and is happy doing an illegal job and and giving the cutsomer false documents (as it's hard to prove). :rolleyes:

So i take it i'm the only one around here that can't joke and have a bit of a laugh???
I'm serious about electrics and serious about being safe and legal. I never cut corners and do what is expected of me even though it actually costs me a small fortune (£300 for the council to test and inspect my work.. ie. one of my other posts!!!)
I am a qualified electrician with 23 years experience as an electrical engineer in the Royal Navy and now trying to gain experience and learn domestic electrics from the people out there not only on this forum but real life too.
I find it interesting to find out what the views about the regs etc from a wide range of electricians. I don't like learning from just one person... ie. my boss!
If you don't want to help then please just ignore my questions. If you do want to then i am very grateful for any help you can give me.
There's a lot of cowboys out there, and i'm not one.
Thanks to all who helped. And i look forward to hearing your genuine comments again soon.

We all like to have a joke and a laugh.

Your idea of not bothering to do the job to current regulations did not come across as a joke. Infact far from it. I certainly didn't even crack a smile.

It's almost if you are using this line to save face.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be.
I try not to get into petty arguments. Life is too short.
Anyway i'm off to use these helpful forums to ask questions and get good solid advice, as they were intended to be used.
Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back