Contactum Double Pole RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not my usual choice of manufacturer.

Today I fitted a 40A one of these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk//Products/CPSP1.html to protect a new power shower for a local housing trust.

Due to space and wiring constraints it was more convenient to connect the feed into the bottom of the RCBO with the load out of the top. This works fine on most of the RCDs I've used and there's nothing in the info to say you cant run it that way.

All was OK until I pressed the test button, the RCBO growled for a few seconds before producung some nice smoke.

TLC are shipping me a replacement and it may just be that its a bum one but I wondered if anyone has experience with these? I would call Contactum but their web site says they have gone into administration :cry:

Sponsored Links
Feed in bottom & load out top? Isn't that how it would be when fitted into a CU?

What did the instructions say about wiring it in?

Were there any LOAD/FEED markings or L/N markings on the RCBO unit?

In most CUs, the feed (tails) go in to the top and the load (busbar) is out the bottom....

There's no markings on the unit except for an N on the top left terminal. This is a double pole RCBO and not an RCD. Usually, for most RCDs (Wylex, MK, etc) it doesnt matter if you feed in the top, or the bottom.
No instructions at all, not even a "Test Regularly" sticker.

Just didnt want to get the new one and fry that too! The old lady wants her shower working!

Sponsored Links
Aye, I looked at that diagram too. According to the schematic, there's no reason why the feed cannot be in the bottom. Like you, I'm not going to risk frying another one so I'll be re-routing the wiring so feed in the top.

The only difference I can see is that (normally) the resistor used when the test button is pressed should get connected beween neutral in to live out (2).

Its the other way round if the feed goes in the bottom but shouldn't make a difference in operation.

I got this Contactum RCBO as it was a low cost option for the Housing Trust - back to good old Wylex for me!

I used a lot ofContactum (RIP) RCDs and found them to be mostly reliable.
I have had an odd faulty one though.
Their Feed / load can be either top or bottom (but not mixed though)

Have seen an RCBO go pop when the phase is reversed i.e. supply to L - out and load to L - in, neutrals wired correctly.

Sorry I should have made it clear.
I was refering to the DP RCDs ("Shower Protection unit") I don`t know about reversing RCBOs not something I would try

When I replaced one that growled and smoked for me, the new one had a note with it that said that it must be wired the correct way around... Luckily the replacement was FOC!!

Some do some don`t that`s why you should as ever read the manufacturers instructions

Any owner of a Contactum Consumer Unit.

You should buy two of each rating of the breakers in your board - now that Contactum have closed down, it will become hard to get replacements - having a few spares can save you from having to replace the whole board if one fails etc. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Exactly my experience - TLC encouraged me to buy a Contactum unit which failed under test with smoke appearing from the unit although the switch itself seems to work OK. After taking advice from two experts & TLC I was satisfied it was a faulty unit and TLC replaced it foc. Same experience with second one and there is not enough free cable to put the supply at the top of the unit and load at bottom. Pity Contactum don't provide instructions or mark up their units to show that the supply must go in the top or must all RCBOs this way round? javascript:emoticon(':confused:')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back