contract of employment,terms and conditions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents once again,
After a house visit by a company I have had a quote by phone message,just a basic 4 line breakdown,
Job
costs
Labour
total
I agreed in principle but thought I would get a contract of some sort as I did off previous quotes explaining % of money up front, damages,liabilities etc.
just asking you guys first as it's just on 4000 pounds I would expect a contract of some sort.
Right or wrong gentleman,as you do this all the time!!
Thanks in advance once more.

Sponsored Links
I'm still staggered in this day and age, that no paperwork is issued when quoting. What does the quote stipulate, brand, size, location, additional options, warranty. I'm sorry but if someone just rang me with a price and didn't have decency to put something in writing so ALL parties are covered they can jog on.

+1. Whilst an itemised breakdown shouldn't be necessary an explanation of what and how along with company T's & C's is essential. If only to show a certain degree of professionalism.

Just had a customer fall over and say really to the list of T&C's. He couldn't understand why only the works quoted were included in the price and any other works instructed by the client would be charged extra at the applicable hourly rate.

Got to love em.

Sponsored Links
I have just requested a detailed quote inc terms and conditions as paperwork to be considered before commencing,feel a bit cheeky but don't want to be left high and dry.

Hiya all,
got the quote through but was just a repeat of the breakdown of work to be carried out,amount of days etc
I asked for terms and conditions inc payments etc but was told its payment upon completion which sounds great but I was more concerned ,about terms of breakages ,righting wrongs, etc.or am I looking into this too deeply?

Just the other two quotes i had had loads of clauses on the second side of the quote,just expected the same I suppose.

I know quite a few smaller firms dont have any terms and conditions, ive only just started sending these out with quotes.
This doesnt mean he will do a bad job
Or wont pay for any breakages etc

You have a written quote and have been told payment on completion. Really that all you need!

The common law greatly benefits the customer as its is accepted that the firm quoting will be qualified and experienced to do the work and will do it in a "workmanlike manner". That by the way means in a good way and not a shoddy way!

Those firms that do have T & C are primarily giving them to protect THEMSELVES and not actually for YOUR benefit. And so they should do as there are more problem customers than problem contractors. The law bends over backwards towards the customer.

I will remind you of the case and Youtube video two years ago about a council tenant who got a builder to construct a nice front door porch that he never had any intention of paying for.

The video shows the builder pulling it down!

Tony

Cheers tony,
I actually thought that,one of the companies terms and conditions absolved them of any liability for anything so I chose NOT to go with them!
I much appreciated your replies ad it gives me a much better chance to understand and decide .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back