Controlable External Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a B & Q light fitting which switches on at low wattage when it becomes dark, and brightens to full capacity when someone activates the PIR sensor that is built into the unit.

I now wish to remove this unit, and install 4 no 100 watt bulkhead style light fittings, operated by 2 no independent PIR sensors and an over-ride switch, the PIR's of which will operate in the same manner as the B & Q light; in other words, when it is dusk all 4 lights operate at low wattage, and when either of the 2 pir units are activated all four lights operate at maximum brightness for a set time. Or the PIR can be over-ridden with a manual by-pass switch.
Can anyone advise as to how I can achieve this, and if so, what hardware is required?

Sponsored Links
As long as the existing circuit can sustain an extra 400W of lighting (less of course the fitting you are to remove), it can be done.

If you have a choice, the circuit is best fed from an fcu on the ring. From there the output side (load) of the fcu feeds the pirs via an override switch

The easiest way to do it would be to run a three core (& earth) round the house, tapping off at various points for pirs and fittings.

The three core being, live, switched live and neutral (and earth of course).

Inside the house, the feed from the fcu is taken to a back box or pattress for 1g1w switch.

out of this switch position runs the three core. Connect as follows:

The live wire from fcu to the common term of switch, along with red from 3 core. This is the live to the pirs. The neutral from fcu to blue of 3 core. This is the neutral feed for pirs and light fittings. The yellow of 3 core connects to L1 of switch. This is the switched feed to light fittings and pirs.

Outside you tap off the 3 core where appropriate as follows: PIR uses red (live) yellow(sw live) and blue (neutral). Fittings use only yellow and blue.

When the override switch is down, the yellow is permanently live ie lights on all time until the switch is returned to up position.

Don't forget to label yellow with red tape and blue with black tape.

PS B & Q used to have Hi-Lo PIR's - not sure if they still do.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I'll now hunt for the hi-low PIR's.

Sponsored Links
Donut, when Buying PIR's ensure they are ones that can operate two way, most do not operate like this and if wired together will not operate as you desire. The lights will come on, then stay on, or they will not come on at all.

Why GLS bulkheads? Bl**dy Ugly things.

Thanks FWL_Engineer

Good point about the PIR's.
I'm having great difficulty in sourcing the PIR's with the requisite functions.

I've managed to source some attractive half sphere, smoked polycarbonate lights too!!

Donut, MK make multiway PIR's, so do a Company called Home Automation, they are not cheap though.

Sorry folks, have I missed something?

Multiway PIR's?

Two-way?

Simon..most PIR's are designed to operate singularly, but MK, and a few other compnaies, do make PIR's that can be linked together so operate the same lights without the PIR's interferring with each others operation.

Some compnaies call them two way PIR's, a few call them Multiway, and a handful call them Modular PIR's!!

Nice to have concensus as always :confused:

I use superswitch Jim & never had a problem with multiple passives.

There you go. New one on me!!

It just shows that technical depts know nowt about their products.

I think most superswitch ones are designed to work in pairs as a matter of course Simon..I simply could not think of their name earlier..mental blockage!! :LOL:

Hey some coward has deleted my post with the terribly naughty word p*nile in it......

Yep, these forums are starting to become a bit Big Brotherish :(

Too right, Jim

And at least on other forums you can see straight away who is a moderator.......these guys hide behind the site!

Yellow-bellys!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back