Security Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because of the peculiar way my house is set out I want to be able to trigger 3 or 4 bulkhead lights (relatively low wattage) from 2 different PIR's, one at the top of some steps and one around a corner. I want all lights to come on whether the top or bottom sensor is triggered.

I assume I need two seperate PIR sensors, but how do I wire up? Do the sensors work like double pole switches so that I take a feed into the PIR and then onto the lights or do I need to supply a light first and switch on the PIR? In either case how would I connect all lights and PIR's together? Can they be wired as 1 circuit IE mains - PIR 1 - light 1 -2 -3 - PIR2 or do have to seperate them IE mains - PIR 1 - light 1 - 2- 3 + mains - PIR 2 - light 3 - 2 -1.

Any help would be appreciated.

tia
Ian

Sponsored Links
depends on the pir chosen.

most pirs have a switch wire (which means they need a supply and the switch wire becomes live when the pir activates.)

all the lights would need to be wired in paralell, then the neutral connected to the supply at the pir, the live for the lights would need to be connected to the pir switch wire.

In theory for your second pir you should take a cable from the first pir and connect it the same at the second pir.

The problem is that which ever pir trips first it is going to send a voltage backwards (down the switch wire) into the other pir, the question is will the 2nd pir be ok

the answer is it depends on the pir, it may work it may go bang.

why not have 2 pirs, and two lights on each, that way as you walk along from the first pir to the 2nd one it looks like someone is watching you and turmig on the lights as you go.

one other thing (personal hate) make sure the lights do not shine in the neighbours area, its annoying when sopme one puts up a flood light to light their garden and the light is too high / wrong angle and light up yours as well

thanks breezer - I'll think about having 2 / 2

btw I agree with your pet hate - I have just taken out a 500W floodlight that the previous owner put up which shone directly into the neighbours kitchen!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back