Conundrum.. damsel in distress:-) Do i need Mr Plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, is there anyone out there clever enough to know what's going on here :confused:

Here goes:- Boiler Worcester Bosch 18ri condensing. Programmer and room thermostat working okay. Open system. Rads lovely and hot. Cylinder won't heat when hot water is called. The pipes either side of the three way valve are boiling hot so the pipe that goes directly to the cylinder is hot but the hot water is obviously not entering somehow? I've bled all of my radiators and they are fine except for one which air escapes but not water; this rad still gets hot just like all the others though :cry:

Sponsored Links
How far along the pipes of the 3 way are hot? Heat will spread, so it could be the valve isn't switching, but the pipes still get hot.

Pictures would help.

Fubar.

How far along the pipes of the 3 way are hot? Heat will spread, so it could be the valve isn't switching, but the pipes still get hot.

Pictures would help.

Fubar.
Woooow that was quick. Thank you. the pipes are about 5 inches either side of the vavle one drops into floor other goes into cylinder both are boiling hot! but no hot water in tank!

Sponsored Links
Is there a bleed valve near the cylinder?

Andy
Wooow so fast .... yes, i think so but it looks like a screwdriver would fit in the top ... looks a bit like an ice cream cone shape? Was tempted to open a little but thought best to get advice first. THANK YOU KIND SIR!

Woooow that was quick. Thank you. the pipes are about 5 inches either side of the vavle one drops into floor other goes into cylinder both are boiling hot! but no hot water in tank!

What looks like a bleed valve is near to the tank, it branches off from the hot water and it is the only thing i havn't bled :mrgreen: This is exciting stuff.... not that I'd touch it :oops:

Can i still put my heating on safely if the three way port has broken. The heating comes on when the boiler is on fine? Getting chilly down here in the south :oops: Thanks you lovely kind pepes .... in anticipation

Yes, heating will be fine. If you look on the 3 way valve, there should be a small lever or thumbwheel. Moving this into the 'Manual' position should wedge the valve open to allow the hot water from the boiler both ways to heating and cylinder. Should get you some hot water but will override the thermostats so boiler will keep going and water may get extremely hot!

The 'ice cream shaped' valve you describe may be an automatic bypass valve, any chance of a picture of valve etc to be able to advise further? Opening it wont bleed anything, bypass valves are to allow a flow through the system when boiler shuts down to disperse residual heat.

Yes, heating will be fine. If you look on the 3 way valve, there should be a small lever or thumbwheel. Moving this into the 'Manual' position should wedge the valve open to allow the hot water from the boiler both ways to heating and cylinder. Should get you some hot water but will override the thermostats so boiler will keep going and water may get extremely hot!

The 'ice cream shaped' valve you describe may be an automatic bypass valve, any chance of a picture of valve etc to be able to advise further? Opening it wont bleed anything, bypass valves are to allow a flow through the system when boiler shuts down to disperse residual heat.

Oh thank you. I have managed to upload an image of the ice cream cone and i'm really interested as to what it is and if i should bleed it. I've bled every rad and only one of them won't weep. You are so kind. Thank you lovely pepe :p

Oh thank you. I have managed to upload an image of the ice cream cone and i'm really interested as to what it is and if i should bleed it. I've bled every rad and only one of them won't weep. You are so kind. Thank you lovely pepe :p
Trying to find where i show the photo :mrgreen: But until then thanks so much for info on the valve. Tonight i will be warm and not worry:)

Trying to find where i show the photo :mrgreen: But until then thanks so much for info on the valve. Tonight i will be warm and not worry:)
Crikey i'm impressed with your knowledge. I will put a picture up of a closeup of ice cream cone and won't bleed :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back