Conundrum.. damsel in distress:-) Do i need Mr Plumber?

Oh well, it's not a bypass valve! I'd be wary of fiddling with it though as looks like it may decide to leak if disturbed.... To open 3way valve manually move the lever across in the slot (facing you in photo) and allow it to rest in the detent to lock it in the manually position.

Sponsored Links
Yes, heating will be fine. If you look on the 3 way valve, there should be a small lever or thumbwheel. Moving this into the 'Manual' position should wedge the valve open to allow the hot water from the boiler both ways to heating and cylinder. Should get you some hot water but will override the thermostats so boiler will keep going and water may get extremely hot!

The 'ice cream shaped' valve you describe may be an automatic bypass valve, any chance of a picture of valve etc to be able to advise further? Opening it wont bleed anything, bypass valves are to allow a flow through the system when boiler shuts down to disperse residual heat.

Oh thank you. I have managed to upload an image of the ice cream cone and i'm really interested as to what it is and if i should bleed it. I've bled every rad and only one of them won't weep. You are so kind. Thank you lovely pepe :p
Trying to find where i show the photo :mrgreen: But until then thanks so much for info on the valve. Tonight i will be warm and not worry:)
Crikey i'm impressed with your knowledge. I will put a picture up of a closeup of ice cream cone and won't bleed :oops:

As hugh mentions, I'd be very careful about fiddling with that bleed screw as it looks pretty old and may not seal back up. Did you manage to set the valve to the manual setting as Hugh mentioned too?

It seems to be in very poor condition.

I think you would be better getting a professional!

If you live on a ground floor then its less risky but if you have anyone below you then the risk of damaging their property from a leak is very high.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As hugh mentions, I'd be very careful about fiddling with that bleed screw as it looks pretty old and may not seal back up. Did you manage to set the valve to the manual setting as Hugh mentioned too?

I will get a pro .... Lots to do here but then I can't complain the set up is over 30 years! THANKS AGAIN ALL. JUST GETTING USED TO DIYNOT. LOVE IT ..... DON'T FEEL ALjavascript:emoticon(':p')ONE AND HELPLESS ANY MORE :p

THANK YOU ROB!! :D Yes, I set the vavle to manual and all is well but I know I have to do something now. Just don't want to pay out 300 plus if it is not the vavle - i'm sure you understand. I need to go with cheaper option and look to see if it is the cylinder thermostat - what do you think? :p

Oh well, it's not a bypass valve! I'd be wary of fiddling with it though as looks like it may decide to leak if disturbed.... To open 3way valve manually move the lever across in the slot (facing you in photo) and allow it to rest in the detent to lock it in the manually position.

THANK YOU! I'm really enjoying all of this. Quite difficult getting used to DIYNOT though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back