Conversion to combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my 20+ yr old Glowworm with a new condensing combi. I would like to do some of the non-gas plumbing work myself to save money. I assume the main things to do just prior to connecting the combi are:

a) flush and de-sludge the system
b) disconnect and solder stop-end onto CH pipe which goes to header tank
c) disconnect and solder stop-end onto CH vent
d) ensure CH flow & return pipes identified for connection to new boiler
e) same with hot water supply and mains cold water
f) run a suitable condensation drain pipe
g) ???

Anything else I might have missed?

Sponsored Links
what about hiring a flushing machine to flush system properly & putting trv's on rads best bet is call a GOOD htg eng

Remove pump, and midposition or zone valves to do with dhw. Cap off any t in the return from dhw. Make sure bathroom rad or towel rail are not on dhw side. Fit an automatic bipass.

Sponsored Links
"rlx01" wrote:

a) flush and de-sludge the system

How would you do this & what would you use.

b) disconnect and solder stop-end onto CH pipe which goes to header tank

The only pipe going to your header tank is the vent/cold supply in/feed out.

c) disconnect and solder stop-end onto CH vent

Why would you cap this pipe? it will be obsolete & can be discarded

d) ensure CH flow & return pipes identified for connection to new boiler

Which side of now obsolete pump would you tie in to?

f) run a suitable condensation drain pipe

Do you know the regs regarding maximum lengths, gradients, internal/external installation & so forth.

Anything else I might have missed?

Well quite a bit to be honest. If nothing else at least have an engineer/plumber take a look at your system & offer sound advice. I understand your wish to save money but it`s quite a big job to take on with little experience. It`s not as cut & dried as you seem to believe. I don`t know of any Corgi engineers who will sign off someone else`s work, wether you have the gas installed correctly or not..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back