Convert switch from 1 gang 2-way to 1-way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an existing light that is controlled by a 2-way switch on the wall and a pull cord at the light itself, but the pull cord has been pulled out of its socket.

I'd like to replace the 2-way wall switch with a 1-way wall switch.

The 2-way switch has a yellow wire going to 'common', 2 red wires going to '1 way' and a black/red wire going to '2 way'.

The 1-way switch has connections for 'line' and 'Lout1'.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what wire(s) need to go where?

Here's a diagram:

Sponsored Links
With two way switches you will normally have two switches, one let us call the master with 5 wires not including the earth, and the slave with 3 wires not including the earth.

There is a method using the ceiling rose as a junction box.

It does seem you are at the master switch, but colours not as expected, would have expected a red, yellow, blue and a red, black, but these are not the colours you list.

So likely one of the wires going to 1 way and one of the wires going to 2 way need to go to LIN and LOUT1 but I have no idea which, so it is down to ringing out with a meter or some thing, or pictures of the wires, what have you got to test with?

You just use the Red and Black from the same cable.

Remove the cable with Red, Blue and Yellow.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back