converting garage into bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wondering if anyone out there could offer any advice. currently have concrete garage and need another bedroom. loft isn't an option. How do we go about rebuilding garage with the intention of it becoming a bedroom. Is there a lot of opposition regarding planning permission etc? Any advice would be really appreciated. sorry a bit vague!

Sponsored Links
Detached garage?
Planning permission shouldn't be a problem if you don't change the size or shape in any way. You'll need electrics installed, insulation in the floor and new inner walls/ceiling, plus windows and door(s), all which must meet building regs. I've only covered the main stuff. It may be cheaper in the long run to demo the garage and rebuild from scratch, but not necessarily with careful planning and a good builder.

Thanks, Garage is detatched I would be looking at demolishing exsisting one and rebuilding similar size just a diffrent roof stile to match neighbours garage roof, was thinking of still putting a garage door on the front with a partition behind and windows to the side and rear looking into our garden ,for ease of converting back if we were to sell in the future and to keep planning happy is this would you advise this ? :D

stick with a concrete floor, ramp the drive to meet the floor level then put in a patio window, something that can be taken out easily.. no bricks..

don't put in the garage door as it would have to open outwards and not be an up and over type..

if the garage is detached then you have to think about how anyone will get to and from the house in the rain, dark etc..

need a bathroom and possibly a kitchenette..

it's going to end up as a granny flat..

is there no way to extend onto the existing house since if you are going to demo and rebuild anyway then it's the same thing..

Sponsored Links
Thanks coljack their is no chance of extension, Thinking of putting the eldest lad in there, I am thinking of putting onsuite in anyway but take on board what you say about sending him out in the rain. :confused:

but if it's a detatched garage then surely there is a gap between the garage now and the house, just demo the garage and re-build as an extention but bridging the gap

if you can get a floorplan of the existing house posted here then some of us might be able to advise more.. ( I like drawing plans for houses, just can't afford to build one.. ) :D

Sorry coljack this is my limit when it comes to computing so getting drawings onto the site would take me as long as an extension, basically im in a semi with shared drive,Just enough room for car without encroaching on neighbouring drive and garage is to the rear of my side drive 2.5 meters from the back of the house and to the left :confused:

ah, just like my grans house then...

could you not budget for a kitchen extension to intersect the garage conversion and give the poor lad a door into the house?

or just go the 2.5 meters back and go 2 storey..

already a old extension on the kithen thinking lad doing a 2 meter dash every now and then is best option cheers for advice :D

just out of curiosity, how old is the eldest?

if he's under 18 then he could do you for "kicking him out of the house" and forcing him to sleep in the "garage"..

if he's over 18 then kick him out anyway and tell him to get his own flat.. ( you pay the deposit rather than build the extension.. )

2 metre dash in the rain...hmm, try this

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42219

how about removing roof and side wall and giving him a small caravan. when he's done with it you can get shot of it and reinstate the garage. (subject to pp of course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back