Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We are moving in with the Mother-in-law while we save a deposit. Her 3rd bedroom is tiny so I am contemplating turning her garage into a bedroom for my son for a couple of years. I wonder if you can bullet-point any considerations, and/or the main things I would need to do (eg put floor in - type of floor, line the walls etc.).
The garage is brick and is fixed, but off-set, to the neighbours garage. Current roof is Asbestos - would obviously need to change. Floor is concrete. thx, Alex.

Sponsored Links
raise and insulate the floor.. stud out and insulate the walls... change garage door for knee wall and DG window ( + door to make it a bedsit for more independance if you want .. no idea how old son is.. )

Floor & walls will also need a damp proof membrane of some form. By asbestos roof I assume you mean external Asbestolux panels? I wouldn’t put my son in a room with an exposed internal asbestos product roof!

To meet B Regs. thermal insulation values you also need to insulate the roof + any additionally electrical work or heating appliances must be tested & certified compliant.

raise and insulate the floor.. stud out and insulate the walls... change garage door for knee wall and DG window ( + door to make it a bedsit for more independance if you want .. no idea how old son is.. )

Cheers Coljack. I'm at the stage of the feasibility study at the moment. From your message I guess that it is possible. Later I need to get into the "how". EG how do I raise and insulate the floor. I assume cross-beams, then either floor-boards or similar, but does the insulation go under the floorboards or under carpet. I will have to check with you guys along each step.

thx

Sponsored Links
Floor & walls will also need a damp proof membrane of some form. By asbestos roof I assume you mean external Asbestolux panels? I wouldn’t put my son in a room with an exposed internal asbestos product roof!

To meet B Regs. thermal insulation values you also need to insulate the roof + any additionally electrical work or heating appliances must be tested & certified compliant.

...yeah Richard - those old wavy asbestos panels. I intend to remove and put a 'proper' roof on - beams, board on top, and a suitable membrane on top of that. I'm guessing that I could insulate between the beams and then put plaster-board on to finish?

I intend to remove and put a 'proper' roof on - beams, board on top, and a suitable membrane on top of that. I'm guessing that I could insulate between the beams and then put plaster-board on to finish?
You should check the relevant BR’s as there are specific requirements for roof construction/ventillation & thermal insulation values these days.

depending on the height difference between house and garage ( usually a 5 or 6 inch step down into garage ), and assuming that the concrete slab has a DPM, you could put 75mm celotex down they screed on top.. you could include underfloor heating when you do this if you have radiators..

walls you batten out with 2 x 3 studs and insulate inbetween then board over..or dot 'n' dab foam backed boards straight on the wall..

depending on the roof construction, you either insulate between rafters or if it creates a "loft space" ( ie pitched roof ) then you can probably insulate between and over the ceiling joists as in a normal loft..

as said new doors, windows, change of use, plumbing, electrical, roof etc all probably come under the LABC control so you'll need to check what the deal is with them.. maybe ask in the building regs forum here.. more specific advice will be given there by the resident BR guru's..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back