Converting Spotlights To Halogen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

If you have a room with 2 100w Spotlights fed off the one circuit and wanted to get rid of them and change to 5 halogen down lighters (mains Voltage Ones)

Is it suitable to take the existing wire for the 2 spots, wire it into a suitable junction box, and just split it 5 ways by taking 5 new wires, one to each downlighter?

thanks for any advice
SGM

Sponsored Links
You can, however good luck trying to fit 6 cables into one junction box.

Easier to loop from one light to the next, with a junction box at each new light.

Also all junction boxes must be accessible and you will probably have to do something with the holes left by the old downlights (halogens are a lot smaller).

Another thing to remember is that halogen lamps are NOT energy saving, produce less light than your old fittings, will cost more to run, energy prices are going up, and there are some very attractive compact fluorescent fittings around at the moment if you search.

Hey guys thank very much,

its actually a false ceiling thats there just now so I can get access above it by breaking through the plaster above which Im just about to do.

The spots are much bigger but weve just finished sticking one of thos marble effect PVC ceilings on so new holes have been cut and the old now covered.

I wanted to bridge each light to he other for the exact reason of not having 5 wires on a terminal strip but I can get above the other lights to fit junction boxes I can only get one decent access from loft (as its partially under a loft convesrion) But I do allot of wiring etc for boilers,etc from packet junction boxes so Ill get it nice and neat+safe.

Was just waiting to check that theres no kind of loops or anything like a ring main round them, just wire it all up parallel.

And As for the energy saving, Im aware there not good, and its wouldnt be my first choice, but its in a bathroom, so I thik for the amount of time theyll be on at a time Its not so bad but yea, If I was doing it in my own house then Id prob go a different route but its the parents choice lol

thanks again
SGM

Sponsored Links
PVC ceiling?

Can this material withstand the heat generated by a 50W lamp?

Are the new fittings "F" marked?

If you can't access from above, there are junction boxes which will fit through the holes for the lights.

ASJ501X.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back