Converting toilet/WC to shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old Victorian (circa 100 years old) property which has a downstairs bathroom at the back, which itself has a doorway to a smallish toilet room/WC (that I suspect may originally have been an outside toilet; I don't know). We have resited the toilet to inside the bathroom and are in the process of converting the space freed up into a shower room.
The existing brickwork is only single skin so I need to build a second skin, which I am doing with low density blockwork (the stuff that you can cut with a saw). The problem is that there is not going to be much or any of a cavity between the two skins. I believe the cavity is supposed to provide two functions - one is a thermal barrier (but perhaps only if filled with something) and two is moisture barrier?

Questions I have are:

1 Given that I don't have enough space to play with to allow me to fit something like Celotex, is there anything I can do given that the cavity (such that it is) will be only a few mm wide?
2 Can I (or should I) put some damp proof membrane between the two skins, and if so how would I 'fix' it in place?

By the way, the shower will be ventilated with a fan which vents through the roof which comes on when the light is switched on. Also there will be a fan in the bathroom. Oh, and I have already bought Aquapanel for the plasterboard duties for the wall and ceiling.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Standard thickness (the ones you get in Wickes; the thickness of a standard house brick which I guess is something like 100mm?).

Well, why not make it a stud wall using either wooden battens or steel rails and uprights ( the latter are 45 mm deep )

You could then put the insulation thickness of your choice between the studs and still leave a cavity to the outside wall.

The insulation values of any of the usual materials ( not multifoils ) are 3 to 4 times better than these blocks for same thickness..

Sponsored Links
That's a good idea, not one I had thought of. Unfortunately I already have the breeze blocks, although I could take them back.
I am reading up now on how to construct a stud wall.
I take it then that it is acceptable to construct the inner skin of an external wall as a stud wall?
Also, the shower 'room' doesn't have a ceiling into which to nail or fix the head plates for the stud partitions (it is pitched and currently you can see the rafters in the 'roof'); how then would I get around that?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back