cooked P.C.B. , Ideal ISAR HE 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mother in laws boiler was making a loud humming noise and displaying the fault code "L8". The boiler was switched off at the panel to stop the noise and when switched on again there was an audible pop,the smell of burning electrical components and enough current to take the fuse.

I know the board has been cooked. The fault code would suggest a fan error.

My dilemma is this. Is it purely the pcb that has failed or has it failed as a result of a fault with the fan ? I can't perform the diagnostic tests until the pcb is replaced but obviously don't want to buy a new board just to see if it will go bang indicating a fault with the fan.

Hopefully someone has been here before and I would be very grateful for any advice they could offer.

Cheers John.

Sponsored Links
These have a bad reputation for fans blowing the fuses so I would expect this to be the cause of the pcb fault, although pcb's are very unreliable on these as well :eek:

You could fit the new pcb but disconnect the fan terminal and the boiler should be able to be turned on, but will then show that there is no fan present, but if it didn't blow then it points to the fan.

If the fans gone it will have popped the board. If you replace the board only the fan will pop it again. Make sure you replace both :!:

Stan

Sponsored Links
These boilers are loved by kitchen fitters and people who watch too many maeover programs.

Cheapest and best long term solution is to rip out kitchen and get a heating engineer in to fit a nice easil;y accessible well designed boiler then stick a double drainer somewhere and a few stand alone appliances with waste pipe hangingover drainer and those rubber thingies with chains to hook onto taps.

get manufacturers instructions framed and mount in pride of place on wall 300 watt floodlight aimed at boiler might also need a light to cook bye suckit and see.

These boilers are loved by kitchen fitters and people who watch too many maeover programs.

Cheapest and best long term solution is to rip out kitchen and get a heating engineer in to fit a nice easil;y accessible well designed boiler then stick a double drainer somewhere and a few stand alone appliances with waste pipe hangingover drainer and those rubber thingies with chains to hook onto taps.

get manufacturers instructions framed and mount in pride of place on wall 300 watt floodlight aimed at boiler might also need a light to cook bye suckit and see.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ideal do do a fixed price call out, but usually they say they cant as they are too busy with warranty calls :eek:

You could try replacing it with the new Esprit :p

Same crock of poo, just more space inside to get in when you have to fix it :!:

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back