Cooker Cable Size

A 6mm cable on a 30/32A circuit is more than adequate for a domestic cooking appliance load, up to 15kW - after applying diversity.

This diversity 'rule' - or rule of thumb' has been with us now for more than half-a-century, and it still holds good.

There's no need for 10mm in a domestic kitchen, apart from exceptional circumstances. It hardly has a continuous load on the circuit, does it?

A double oven combined with an induction hob will still meet the requirements for a 30/32A circuit.

It isn't a case of 'cost cutting', but rather a matter of commonsense.

Sometimes, when we err on the side of caution, we simply err.......

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Funny, last time I got a reciept at tesco, it said "Strawberry Jam" nor "Rasberry Jam".
Did it show only what they charged you for it, or did it also show what they paid for it?

If I get a reciept from a tradesperson, I expect to see what they paid on the bill,not some frigged figure.
Why?

Do you expect that in any other purchase of goods or services?

If you do, how much success do you have in getting it, and how do you deal with the daily disappointments of not getting what you expect?

If you don't, then why are you such a complete **** when it comes to dealing with tradesmen?

what makes you think you're entitled to see the sparky's recipts for goods from the wholesalers?

do you not think that it's fair that he adds a small percentage to cover the cost of fuel used to fetch the parts in his vehicle and the overheads that that involves and to cover the time taken to actually fetch the stuff?

you want it at cost? fine, you take an hour off work and spend your fuel to go and fetch it at standard price, you won't get the 20% discount that the sparky gets so it costs you more anyway.. :D ;)

Sponsored Links
I find most customers want 10mm whether they need it or not at the moment. They figure as you do; a bit of future proofing is worth the uplift in cost. £2.60 per meter is what I charge. A bit more than your £1.68 ( where are you buying 10mm for that btw)but then I don't work in a commune, brother.

Martin

BTW what do you mean by
Funny, last time I got a reciept at tesco, it said "Strawberry Jam" nor "Rasberry Jam".

Sorry martin, I was quoting the difference between 6mm and 10mm. ;)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA10G.html

2.60 a metre is a pretty good deal to be honest, if my leccy quoted that, I would be more than happy. Benefits of bulk I suppose.

Well if I had quoted you 2.60 a meter for 10mm t&e i would be making 0.55p per meter, for arguments sake, that is 20% mark up, so who is smug now????? You have never employed an electrician, you have stated that you never would and you dont understand electricity and seem to think that 1940's installations are safe, i think your advice should be reserved for burning your own property to the ground. At least then the insurance company may get someone in to repair it to some sort of standard, rather than the dogs dinner of wiring it is now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back