Cooker circuit without RCD question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started doing some maintenance for a landlord & the previous electrician had done PIR's in all the properties. Been running through the list of jobs & one of them is "no rcd on cooker circuit" (it has a socket)

Now I could replace the double cooker switch with one without a socket but it would be on its side & that would look crap. (Can you get double cooker switches that fit horizontally with no socket ?)

The CU is an old Crabtree with type 1 cb's. I could put a small CU with RCD next to it & route the cooker cables into it but I would have to extend the cables, new tails, henlys etc

I could put an RCD in the incoming tails but that could open a can of worms! (The sockets are already on an RCCB)

What would you do ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I could put a small CU with RCD next to it & route the cooker cables into it but I would have to extend the cables, new tails, henlys etc
You really can't pull the cooker cable out of the CU and have enough to go into a small enclosure next to it?

No I cant BAS, tried it. It wouldnt be easy to split the tails either cause the meter box is about 3 metres away from the cu on the outside wall but I suppose I could put them on the surface in trunking.

Volex make one that can be used vert/horizontal without looking naff, has a rocker actuator rather than a finger.

Sponsored Links
why not chip out the old backbox, and mortar in a smaller/upright switch with no socket?

You could have done that in less time than discussing it here.

Well its just not chipping it out is it. When you got x2 10mm cables coming in & out of the backbox from each side in plaster it isnt easy to make nice job of it.

OK no probs, just wanted an opinion. Plenty of room for everyone ;)

If the CU isn't on show, and therefore it's not vital to do perfect making good, it might be easier to dig out the cable where it leaves the CU...

That volex switch will look great in the kitchen with no other nickle plated switches lol, the easy way round this is to give a company called focus SB a call and see if they can make you a special one, it might cost a bit more but it will solve your problem and wont cause you too much hassle, they could make it on a white metal plate for you .

Nick

Just started doing some maintenance for a landlord & the previous electrician had done PIR's in all the properties. Been running through the list of jobs & one of them is "no rcd on cooker circuit" (it has a socket)

What would you do ? :confused:

If there were other RCD protected sockets in the area I would just label the cooker socket "Non RCD - unsuitable for outside use".

If the NIC inspector couldn't find anything else wrong with an installation the non RCD cooker socket used to be one of their favorites for a "minor" on the audit. But if you argued your case they would back down.

If there were other RCD protected sockets in the area I would just label the cooker socket "Non RCD - unsuitable for outside use".
Does that make everyone who uses the socket an instructed person? ;)

If the NIC inspector couldn't find anything else wrong with an installation the non RCD cooker socket used to be one of their favorites for a "minor" on the audit. But if you argued your case they would back down.
That's something nobody has thought to ask - Norv - what code was against that item on the PIR?

You are going to lose the socket in any case.

Why not buy one of those socket protectors you can get to stop kids stuffing their fingers in the holes and superglue it in.

That way the socket is permanently blanked off. You can change it when u next refurb the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back