cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving my consumer unit my cooker radial cable wont reach. Can I join it in the loft to new length and then get electrician to test and connect?

Sponsored Links
Why didn't the electrician who moved the consumer unit extend ( or better replace ) the cable from the cooker when he (or she ) moved the consumer unit.

Junction boxes on cooker cables are not a good idea if they are out of sight and thus not routinely checked they can become loose and create a fire hazard.

Why didn't the electrician who moved the consumer unit extend ( or better replace ) the cable from the cooker when he (or she ) moved the consumer unit.
Who'd like to offer odds on the various possible reasons why not?

Sponsored Links
It's common enough to join cables, sometimes you have no choice.

But what type of junction box were you planning to use? It's unlikely a regular 30 amp one would do, as very often cooker cable is too big for the terminals.

It's common enough to join cables, sometimes you have no choice. But what type of junction box were you planning to use? It's unlikely a regular 30 amp one would do, as very often cooker cable is too big for the terminals.
If a join is inevitable and crimping/soldering are not options, then (provided it will remain 'accessible') the best bet would probably be something like (click here) , namely:
AAJB60.JPG

Kind Regards, John

But it is a tad alarming that someone who moves a CU then asks "Can I join it in the loft to new length and then get electrician to test and connect?"

But it is a tad alarming that someone who moves a CU then asks "Can I join it in the loft to new length and then get electrician to test and connect?"
Maybe (just as many things we see here are 'a tad alarming'), but I'm far from convinced that the situation is quite as you appear to suspect. Someone who is asking whether he needs to get an electrician to 'test and connect' an extension to one circuit is, I would have thought, very unlikely to have moved the CU himself without involvement of an electrician (unless, perhaps, we're talking about a trivial degree of physical 'moving' of the CU).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all
When the consumer unit was moved to new location (by a qualified electrician) a year ago I had a gas cooker and didnt envisage needing the cooker circuit and so, as it was too short, decided to leave it unconnected in the loft. A new circuit would involve re-plastering most likely. The join would be in the loft, clear of any insulation etc, but would not routinely be inspected.

As for deciding what type of connection is most appropriate I would be glad of your suggestions...

Thanks all ... When the consumer unit was moved to new location (by a qualified electrician) a year ago I had a gas cooker and didnt envisage needing the cooker circuit and so, as it was too short, decided to leave it unconnected in the loft.
Thanks for clarifying - as I implied in my last post, I suspected that the situation was probably something like that (some people tend to 'assume the worst'; I tend to 'assume the best'{innocent until proved guilty}!!).
The join would be in the loft, clear of any insulation etc, but would not routinely be inspected. As for deciding what type of connection is most appropriate I would be glad of your suggestions...
That rather depends upon who is going to do it. If an electrician, you should leave the choice to him/her. If you're planning to do it yourself, then a big junction box, just as I depicted, would probably be the best - provided it remains 'accessible for inspection' that would be fine - there is no requirement for 'routine inspection'.

As for deciding who is to do the work, if the circuit is currently not connected to the CU, connecting it would presumably be regarded as 'installing a new circuit'. As such, it would be 'notifiable' work, and if you notified it to your LA yourself, that would involve a fee of at least a couple of hundred pounds, possibly a lot more. A registered 'self-certifying' electrician could do the notifying for very little cost.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John this is very helpful..
What I would like to do is join in the loft and then get electrician to connect and test at the CU and notify LA..
I see this as a cost-effective solution rather than, as I suspect would be a likely outcome, an electrician preferring to run a complete new service which would spoil decorations and cost considerable more than the cost of the cooker...

Thanks John this is very helpful..
What I would like to do is join in the loft and then get electrician to connect and test at the CU and notify LA.. I see this as a cost-effective solution rather than, as I suspect would be a likely outcome, an electrician preferring to run a complete new service which would spoil decorations and cost considerable more than the cost of the cooker...
It's not necessarily as simple as that, so I suggests you discuss the matter with the electrician of your choice before you do any work. The person who notifies the work has to declare that they have been responsible for all the design, installation and testing.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back