Cooker connection plate - 3 x 10mm cables?

Guys, so long as the Spur (FCU) is within VISUAL distance, or no more than 300mm of the originating device, it can be fed in cable commensurate to the outgoing load.

IE..you can run 1.5 or 2.5 from the output side of the switches concerned so long as the FCU is within 300mm of the switch.

Also, with regards to large capacity junction boxes, have none of you ever heard of Henley Blocks?

For those outside the trade, many people call these SERVICE CONNECTION UNITS/JUNCTION BOXES

I tried to get a picture for you but WT Henley (formerly GEC Henley) don't a have a picture on their website of one!!

Just go into a wholesaler and ask for a 100A Double Pole Henley Block..they'll know what you mean..failing that call it a service connector.

Sponsored Links
MK1101.jpg

single

Thanks breezer, just the jobby to give them an idea.

Double Pole is

here

The Part No is 1100BRO

FWL_Engineer said:
Guys, so long as the Spur (FCU) is within VISUAL distance, or no more than 300mm of the originating device, it can be fed in cable commensurate to the outgoing load.

IE..you can run 1.5 or 2.5 from the output side of the switches concerned so long as the FCU is within 300mm of the switch.
That's good to know...

Also, with regards to large capacity junction boxes, have none of you ever heard of Henley Blocks?
Err... read my previous reply in this thread.

Problem is though, how do you get 10mm T/E into it? The knock outs are too small, and I didn't think you were allowed to remove the protective sheath and have just the single insulated cores exposed, which you would have to do to get them into the block. And even if you carefully cut some larger holes so that you could get the whole cable in (and the earths back out) you'd have a hell of a job dressing and connecting 2 or 3 cables inside the box, given how you'd have 4 or 6 conductors crossing each other.

Sponsored Links
Ban, 100A Henley's will take up to 25mm cores, so 10mm is not a problem.

FWL Think you're missing the point - you need to terminate the whole cable sheath and all inside the henley block, no?

securespark said:
FWL Think you're missing the point - you need to terminate the whole cable sheath and all inside the henley block, no?

Have you NEVER heard of an adaptable box?

ban-all-sheds said:
Err... read my previous but one reply in this thread....

I saw and read your post, for a pair of 10mm2 T&E's the JB would do the trick, but you will not get three in it, hence putting a Henley block inside a plastic adaptable box. The cables can be secured using 25mm Stuffing glands and making sure the adabtable box is out of the way were it cannot suffer interference.

FWL_Engineer said:
63A will not seriously overload 10mm

FWL, are you saying that overloading a cable is not serious?! :LOL:

I am shocked that one who preaches best practice above and beyond the regs would stoop to suggesting using a 63A protection to supply a 53A cable! :eek:

ESPECIALLY when said cable will be working at temperatures above room temperature! :rolleyes:

Michael Faraday is rolling in his grave...

Adam, are you being blond deliberatly or simply being obtuse?

Read my post again, your twisting of my comments bear no resemblance to my words.

There is a difference between overload, and SERIOUS overload, both should be avoided at all cost.

Where did I advocate using a 63A MCB?? I am sure you read in Chinese on occasion because I know I don't type in it.

I was being deliberately obtuse!

I think you should have perhaps written: 63A will not seriously overload 10mm (but standard 10mm T&E should NEVER be used with 63A protection)

I think you should also re-read your post, there is obviously some difference of opinion as to whether or not you are advocating this. :confused:

FWL_Engineer said:
securespark said:
Don't see how you can overload the 10mm2 cable when the mcb governs total load drawn.

That does all depend on the protective device, although I would agree that the chances of this being bigger than 63A are very small.

Before anyone asks, 63A is the largest size MCB you will find will fit a domestic type CU, and 63A will not seriously overload 10mm

Here is what I wrote Adam, there is no advocation of using a 63A MCB, I am simply stating the chances of the device being bigger than 63A are very small.

I am sure that most DIYers, and if they are being honest when posting, did not even know that MCB's can be bought in 63A sizes as they certainly don't sell them in B&Q as far as I am aware. Therfore you trying to say I advocated ones use is derisory.

I never said advocate, only suggest ;)

OK, so if you look at what you said in the last sentence as two separate statements it is correct, but I think that the context could easily be taken differently. Funny you should mention Chinese as Mandarin is a heavily context-driven language and a literal translation of what you wrote WOULD be very dangerous. :D

However, I think a much bigger safety issue would be someone using a 63A MCB unless they already had a good understanding of current and cable ratings!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back