Cooker/Grill is tripping only the lighting circuit

John, I'm not playing word games. In electrical installation the term'competent' has it's particular connotation.
It does - but, as I said, I was using the word in its everyday sense and felt sure (and still do) that the OP would have taken it to have that meaning. Apart from anything else, he clearly is not 'competent' in the 'particular connotation' sense.
The OP asjked if it was easy and your reply was yes (basically if he felt capable).
Yes - well, actually, if he felt 'competent' (as above, everyday sense).
Not mentioning the process for proving dead (before he changed the MCB) was wrong
Hmmm - explaining to him any of the processes required was the very thing I was trying to avoid doing - and I imagine that, if I had done, I would have attracted even more flak. AS I said, I assumed (as we now know,incorrectly) that, in view of what he had preciously said, that what I said would 'put him off'.
Proving Dead is not an option for when you are not quite sure if the supply has been cut, it is something you should do as a matter of routine.
No argument with that.

I don't really understand why, from time to time, you seem to single me out for for these 'criticisms' - and particularly why you've done so in relation to this thread, in which I genuinely thought that I was discouraging the OP from doing things which he might not be adequately knowledgeable/'competent' (everyday sense) to do. A pretty high proportion of threads in this forum involve activities which should involve testing for dead (e.g. lighting/lighting switch wiring, circuit extensions etc.), yet you will rarely see (there are obviously exceptions) any mention of testing for dead, let alone explanation of the process for doing it. Indeed, when anything about safety is said at all, more often than not it is simply along the lines of "make sure that the power is switched off" - which an OP is likely to take to mean that 'switching off' is enough. I therefore don't really understand why I seemingly get singled out, even when I'm encouraging an OP to utilise the services of an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Shep posted he had no experience workig in a CU and asked if changing an MCB is easy and what does he do to avoid electrocution.

Replying that it is easy if you hare happy you know what to do and feel competent, but call an electrician if you don't does not read as advising against proceeding is not recommended (IMO).

Opening up the CU, when you don't know what you are doing, is something to be discouraged.

I don't post often, so don't think I have any personal issue with you John.

Opening up the CU, when you don't know what you are doing, is something to be discouraged.
Indeed - and, as I've said, I thought that was precisely what I was doing.
I don't post often, so don't think I have any personal issue with you John.
It's true that you don't post often, and maybe I'm being unfair, but it seems/feels to me that when you do post, it's often to suggest that what I have been writing to DIYers represents unsafe and/or irresponsible advice - yet I don't recall having seen you take anyone else to task in the same way.

Look in the forum any week and you will find instances of electricians, let alone others, advising posters about what they should be doing in, say, ceiling roses, light switches or socket circuits without a single mention of 'testing for dead', but I can't recall ever having seen you engage any of them about that - and I don't need to tell you that the electricity to be found in a ceiling rose, light switch or socket can be every bit as potentially lethal as that to be found in a CU (albeit the final circuits may benefit from RCD protection which will not exist in some places within a CU - that is, if there is any RCD protection!)!

Kind Regards

John,

I was respomding to this post, not running a poll of how many posts mentioned safe isolation.

Shep posted he had rewired his house (but clarified he had done the labouring). He then said he had never worked in a CU and asked if it was easy to change an MCB and what should he do prevent electrocution.

Your answer that it is easy if you think you are okay doing it, but get an electrician to do it if youare unsure.

This is not just poorly worded, it implies there's nothing to to it. I pointed out the requirement for proving dead, as your answer ignored his second question.

I had a similar argument in here ( I think) a few years back, when the advice given was 'Switch off but be careful inside the CU as there could be some elctricity'.

Sponsored Links
John, I was respomding to this post, not running a poll of how many posts mentioned safe isolation.
I obviously know what you were responding to - you've repeated it enough times! I'm not running a poll, either, but I am curious to know why you nearly always seem to be picking on me, when you have so many others to choose from. As I've said ...
I don't really understand why, from time to time, you seem to single me out for for these 'criticisms' - and particularly why you've done so in relation to this thread, in which I genuinely thought that I was discouraging the OP from doing things which he might not be adequately knowledgeable/'competent' (everyday sense) to do. ...
....Look in the forum any week and you will find instances of electricians, let alone others, advising posters about what they should be doing in, say, ceiling roses, light switches or socket circuits without a single mention of 'testing for dead', but I can't recall ever having seen you engage any of them about that ...

Kind Regards, John

If a novice (who states thery have never worked in the CU) asks if it's easy changing an MCB,. The answer should be 'Get an electrician to sort this out. As Shep had his place rewired 10 months ago it would be a warranty fix.

When asked how do you make sure you don't get electrocuted, the answer is to look up Safe Isolation and the importance of proving dead.

In fact the safety advice should have been prominent.

I don't care if you think I'm picking on you. The fact Shep took your advice as okay to proceed, should show it was not worded stromgly enough to do otherwise.

I don't care if you think I'm picking on you.
Fair enough, but it would be nice if, just occasionally, you could take someone else to task in relation to these sort of issues - as I said, you'll find plenty of choices any week. Of course, others may not react/respond in quite the same way that I do - which is maybe a clue as to why I am a favoured target!

Kind Regards, John

You are missing my point. I doubt you would work in your cu without proving it was isolated. Shep went ahead assuming his main switch worked. If that was faulty, as well as his mcb, it could have been nasty. I don't think I have been abusive to you. I am sorry if you feel I am bullying you.

You are missing my point. I doubt you would work in your cu without proving it was isolated. Shep went ahead assuming his main switch worked. If that was faulty, as well as his mcb, it could have been nasty. I don't think I have been abusive to you. I am sorry if you feel I am bullying you.
I am more than aware of your point - I could hardly fail to be with the number of times you've repeated it in one way or another, but I don't understand what you hope to gain by continually repeating it - 'air time'?

You have not been in the slightest abusive. I've never called your behaviour 'bullying', but it's far from the first time that you have engaged me in this sort of way, yet I've never seen you doing it to anyone else, despite the fact that, as I keep saying, there is (IMO) a regular supply of equally 'deserving' opportunities for you. I therefore remain curious as to why you appear 'attracted' to me!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for wasting your airtime John. Obviously you are happy that your advice was sound and Shep misread it. I don't see we any point continuing with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back