Cooker/ Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to move and upgrade my cooker and am looking to buy a double oven. My excistng cooker point is a normal cooker switch(fused 30 amp at the consumer unit)but I would like to extend from that point by about 5 ft, could I in effect blank off the switch and connect a new cable(6/10 mm) to a new cooker switch? This would leave the new switch 24 inchs away from the cooker! As I have not yet bought an oven the manufacturer as stated that it would need to be fitted to a 20 amp switch, which I think will be ok but I have also purchased a ceramic hob with a rating plate of, 6.4 kw!My question is can I run both appliances off this switch or will I need to a run separate cable back to my consumer unit? To run a new cable would be almost impossible as my kitchen is at the back of my house and the consumer unit is by the front door, the furthest point away.My excisting oven is into a 13amp plug and my hob is run from the cooker switch. Can anyone give me any advice! ;)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
yes

Get a gas hob.

Yes but gas is smelly and horrible, and expensive especially when your not connected to gas maine!!!!! Is that a yes then, can I run both appliances off of one switch?

No.

Your Hob and your double oven each need a "cooker supply" and the best way to do it would be to run one additional circuit with its own switch and oulet, fused appropriately. This will typically be 20A for the double oven and 32A for the hob, both run in 6mm cable, though this will depend on power rating of the two appliances and the length of the appliance. I imagine neither cable is buried in insulation at any point. Each switch needs to be adjacent to its appliance, and in a position where you do not need to lean or reach over the appliance to switch it off (between 300mm and 2M).

"almost impossible" is hard luck.

A smaller single oven will usually run off an ordinary 13A plug on the socket circuit. However, if the same circuit also runs a washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher or electric heater(s) it is likely to be overloaded at times and blow its fuse or trip its breaker.

You mention a 30A fuse which tells me you have an old installation, and it will probably not have sufficient capacity for all this. The main switch may be rated at 60A max. This means it may be time you had your electrical installation upgraded.

The installation of a new circuit, and electrical work in a kitchen, are both controlled by building regulations and notifiable, so you have to choose between paying the local authority to inspect the work, or having it done by an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme. It might be an advantage to replace the old cooker circuit at the same time at little additional cost.

If you can post some photos of your installation showing the main fuse and incomer, consumer unit are the various wires and cables around us, this will help us comment more.

Sponsored Links
2vjwxti.jpg
[/img]

excisting cooker switch!

34t1n4g.jpg

I no image is vertical but where my fridge is is where the double oven will be, I was going to put the new cooker switch on the wall by the red tray!

2cqmvie.jpg

Fuse box!

2rxin3p.jpg

veiw inside fuse box with a spare fuse furthest left, any help!
The house was built in 1977 so its getting on a bit, but electrical wise I have not had any problems. As the excisting switch is 30 amp could I get away with using that for the hob and get a sparky in to run a new cable back to the fuse box. Im sure he will say renew the consumer unit which would be ok, What sort of costs would be involved(roughly)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back