cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my cooker hood fell from its mountings at 12pm last night! The plaster is quite bad but I do intend to remount it, but before I do is it compulsory to have a hood installed above an electric oven? Please advise on the regulations, thankyou

Sponsored Links
No one is obliged to have a cooker hood.

You can open a window or use an extractor fan if you like.

Q. Is the wall plasterboard, or brick/block (this afects how you refix it so it does not fall down again)

Q. Does your hood extract through the wall, or just recirculate?

Hi, thanks for such a quick response. The wall is brick and the hood recirculates. The wiring is still intact but there is a rather large hole where the right side mounting was. I am assuming the wall is suffering from damp.

If the wall is brick, I'd suggest good long screws when you refix. Two inches is not too long. If using ordinary brown plugs, tap them well down inside the hole, by putting a few turns of the screw on them, then tapping the screwhead lightly with a hammer before you finish screwing then tight. You can also get curiously long screws and plugs that are used for fixing doorframes.

If I guessed the reason for it falling off, I'd think one or more of:

• Short screws and cheap little plugs provided with the hood

Loose hole from the incorrect size of drill, or a non-hammer-drill taking a long time and rattling about in the hole

Screwhole drilled into softish mortar instead of a firm brick or block.

p.s. if it just recirculates, it is almost entirely useless. Is it mounted on an outside wall? If not an extractor fan will do more good.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thankyou so much for your help, I do have good ventilation in the kitchen so will probably lose it as it was fixed to an inner wall and a kitchen refit is not on the cards for a long time yet as I have only just moved in, Thanks once again!

wikwik said:
is it compulsory to have a hood installed above an electric oven?
why would you want one? :eek:

:cool:
please dont use the words "oven" and "cooker" interchangeably, they are different things altogether. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back