Cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved house. The kitchen apparently had new Units/Cooker/Hob fitted approximately 3 years ago. The installation appears to have been done by a “qualified electrician” correct size radial circuit/fuse – However (there’s always a however!) the double pole switched outlets have been installed INSIDE THE KITCHEN CABNETS Surely this is a complete no-no? and does not comply with the old let alone the new rules

Sponsored Links
It's ok to have outlets inside cabinets, but they must not be attached to the units themselves. Also the isolation must be accessible.

WHY?
It's ok to have outlets inside cabinets, but they must not be attached to the units themselves
It's acceptable to NICEIC !!! Fitted kitchen funiture is as much the FABRIC of the building as a stud wall.

I would like to see a definitive NICEIC or IEE statement which allows fixing of electrical outlets to kitchen units, without any reservations.

Otherwise it is a matter of opinion. I would not fit an outlet on a kitchen unit, I would make access to the solid kitchen wall behind.

I have to disagree that a kitchen unit is as much the fabric of the building as a stud wall. It isn't.

Sponsored Links
I have no issue with it.

Kitchen cabinets will go untouched for maybe 15 years or so. There is going to be no stress or movement on the wiring during this time, and if the cabinets are being removed then it is likely that orther electrical work will be required anyway.

Can you thing of a regulation or group of regulations which prohibit accesories being secured to kitchen cabinets?

No I can't. BS7671 requires "consideration of the nature of the structure supporting the wiring" (132.7)

Judging by this, I can see no prohibition relating to fixing onto kitchen units. But fixing onto the flimsy back panel is surely not acceptable.

I suppose this is open to opinion and depends on the material and accessibility. I may have been wrong to say that outlets mustn't be fitted to kitchen units, when it is only my opinion. And I have fitted sockets in islands and peninsulas without worrying too much! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back