Cooker problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody just got a cooker installed everything works fine except when I go turn the dial off to the fan assisted oven at the bottom it trips my electrics out not sure what's happening the lights to my home stay on but sockets become dead . I can turn it back on by the fuse box but not sure what's happening any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure it's connected via a box at the back of the cooker with a wire to the cooker this has a switch with a light on the wall .. this all goes off and then have to reset it in the cupboard where the box with all the switches are the people that installed it did the switches I have no idea when it comes to things like this the cooker works fine until turn that 1 oven off with the dial on the Cooker then it trips out

Sponsored Links
About 6 months old so not new no.. it was just installed today though and took a while I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't installed correctly would this cause this problem the top oven works OK and the 4 hobs would it be safe to still use these I have no experience with things like this so just looking for advice really .. seems odd how it's when turning off rather than on

"What exactly is the thing that is tripping? Does it have a test button on it?"
You operated the switch on this to turn it back on so you must be able to answer the question.

"What exactly is the thing that is tripping? Does it have a test button on it?"
You operated the switch on this to turn it back on so you must be able to answer the question.

It wasn't me that did that it was the person installing it so I'm not sure which switch it was they flipped to get it back on sorry I know I'm probably not being much help I am planning on getting an electrician to come and have a look i was just trying to understand in the meantime and if it would be safe to use the other parts of the cooker as these are not tripping anything out

Ah, so they installed it, found it had a problem, and then left. OK, I don't know the history, but it doesn't sound good.

Yeah I kinda realised I didn't realise this was a problem till after they had gone as my partner was here when they installed it . I was just looking for ideas as it seems to work apart from the fact when turn the main oven off it trips out I was hoping it was just installed wrong as I didn't really want to pay out too much i don't know enough to mess about with it and just wondered more if it would be OK to use the parts that are working but I'm guessing not ?

You are not telling us enough for it to be diagnosed. IMO it is quite likely an RCD that is tripping, but you will have to repeat the test (do it in daylight) and describe the thing that trips, or post a photo for us.

It's possible that you need a cooker repairman rather than an electrician.

A photo of your whole "fusebox" would be very useful.

' have to reset it in the cupboard where the box with all the switches are
photograph it.

I'm not sure what an rcd is I can take a picture of the fuse box and I can try turn it on tomorrow and see what switches go off ill do a before and after picture . I'm wondering if maybe the switch on the actual cooker is faulty as this is the only thing that does it . I've literally just moved in so I'm trying to get it sorted asap. Would I be OK to use the rest of cooker ?

Attachments

• 20170114_204918.jpg
    20170114_204918.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 75
If it's tripping the RCD it could be moisture in the element if its been in storage. I have had similar issues with a Neff oven. Try leaving the oven door open overnight to dry out the element.
It should be Ok to use the rest of the cooker.

Regards,

DS

Thank you ever so much for the advice if it was the problem would the part be expensive to replace ? I will leave it open overnight and see if it works tomorrow if it trips out I'll take pictures of the box when it does

That mean you everybody I'm really sorry I came and asked probably simple questions I have no clue about all this and I appreciate you trying to help me

No problem, I have just realised you say when switched off ! I would suspect you need an electrician to complete an insulation resistance test to determine the earth leakage which is causing the trip is caused by the cooker alone and not something else, which is the culprit.

There is no point in leaving the oven open overnight as it is unlikely to be moisture if it trips on switch off.

regards,
DS

Oh OK so I'm best getting an electrician in then ? It is only when switching off via the dial on the cooker I think if I turn it of via the wall it is OK. Should I avoid using it for now ? I wouldn't want to cause any fires or anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back