cooker vent query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't know if this is the right forum but:

I have an old cooker without a vent hood, and plan to replace it at some stage with one that has a vented hood. I will soon be having some building work done, and want to have a the piping installed for the hooded vent, so when I do eventually buy the new cooker, it will just need to be connected to the piping. My question is what kind of piping should I have fitted by the builders? Is there a standard fitting for all vented hoods? If I were to get a 100m pipe fitted with a cowl/flappy plastic thing on the outside wall, will that be ok? I'd rather I had it sorted out now, so I don't need to get ducting put in when I buy the new cooker.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link.

the flat ducting looks useful, but is it ok to have it coming out of a wall. I figure the end will be about the size of a brick, so rather than drilling a big round hole, it will just need the chisselling of a few bricks.

so, if a flat end can come out of the outside wall, what kind of end do I need for the cooker? do cooker vents have standard outlets? if so are they 100mm round? or do some come with flat outlets? I presume there will always be some kind of adaptor to convert the end anyway.

also, is the flat kind of ducting a standard size too, or does that depend on the cooker vent?

(last question: are the flat kind of ducts/adaptors as efficient as the 100mm round? Our cooker is used a lot, so I need powerful venting. I know this is more dependent on the kind of hood I get, but will the smaller flat duct not do as good a job?)

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
there are terminals specially designed to fit this type of ducting, and is suitable for air extraction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back