cooktop wiring USA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new cooktop. I've done wiring before, so I wasn't expecting a big deal. It's the display model, so I didn't get a manual, and I had a problem with the manufacturer's website when I tried to get the manual for it. The problem I am facing is the wires itself. The old cooktop had a black, white, and bare wire. No problem. The new cooktop has a black, red, white, and a bare wire. Problem. What wires go where? The junction box has a black, white, and bare wire.

Sponsored Links
now you know why it was cheap, with out a manual its anybodys guess :cry:

depending on the design of the cooktop it may work if you link the red and black wires

failing that you will have to rewire the cuircuit

Sponsored Links
I think you will need to wire in a new 240v circuit for it, as it is a 2-phase oven, and you only have split phase wiring.

I wired it this way and it worked fine. The white wire is neutral.

black-black
white-red
bare-white

No problems

DISCONNECT THE COOKER NOW!

What you have done is unsafe... you have provided no ground connection, and while it will work, it could cause an electric shock.

Either call a professional (reccomended) or place a piece of wire between the red and white terminals, and connect the bare wire to the bare connection on the cooker.

Since it is a glass cooktop, there is not too much chance for an electric shock. I must have forgotten to say that I added another wire to the group for the ground. I'm not stupid you know.... :)

By the way, I never said anything about it being cheap. I bought the display because they didn't have any more in stock and I didn't want to go without a cooktop till they got more. I wouldn't call $500US cheap.

Yeah, but still you shouldn't use the groundwire as part of the electrics beyond ground, like I said, you should connect two things to neutral, not to ground, ground should only go to ground.

I thought with 220, there is no neutral, but both wires were hot. Therefore, your idea won't work. Am I wrong on this? I got my info from an electrician.

If you go to the link I posted you'll see that the 220/240 is derived across a transformer, the centre tap being used as a neutral. To confuse things, this is earthed so you're both right.

However the example also shows the earthed neutral being taken to a distribution point and separate neutral wires run from there. You should never have an uninsulated neutral, earthed or not, in case you get a fault occuring when it could become live.

I don't know anything about US wiring codes, just a bit about the theory of the installation.

Then I will change the wires and connect the two bare wires and wire the white wire to the seperate wire I am currently using for a ground, and make it a neutral. Still, not the huge problem I thought I would have. I'll have the manual in a few days anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Back